Soccer13

Tony Minatta, Iowa State soccer team head coach, talks to his team after their 2-1 loss against the Florida Gators on Sunday afternoon.

The Cyclones have two more non-conference games left before Big 12 play begins next week. Those games are this weekend at the University of Missouri-Kansas City and at home against Northern Iowa.

In the last couple games the Cyclones have come out slow, and the team is developing a plan to fix that.

"We need to find a combination of players to start the game that works for us," said coach Tony Minatta.

Iowa State is coming off a tough overtime loss to Milwaukee in overtime, and they are looking to bounce back this weekend.

"We've got to move forward, we got plenty of opportunities and we are set up to do well in the conference if we continue to progress and keep pushing forward," Minatta said.

UMKC is 6-2 on the season and are coming off wins at Kansas State and at home against Creighton. The Kangaroos possess an excellent offense as they score 2.25 goals per game. They have nearly put half of their shots on goal and have only been held under two goals twice this season.

"They're underdogs, we have to be ready to come out strong against them," said redshirt senior Brooke Tasker.

ISU VS MIZZOU

Senior Brooke Tasker tries to maintain possession of the ball during the Iowa State vs Missouri game on August 19th. The Tigers beat the Cyclones in double overtime 2-1.

In last season's matchup in Ames, the Cyclones scored two late goals to come out on top 2-0. The matchup between the Cyclones and Kangaroos will kick off at 7 p.m. on Friday in Kansas City.

After facing UMKC, the Cyclones will come back home to face the UNI Panthers on Sunday at 2 p.m. at Cyclone Sports Complex.

The Panthers are 2-3-2 on the season and have been competitive in most games this season, as six of the seven games they have played have either resulted in ties or had a one-goal margin.

ISU VS MIZZOU

Sophomore Marin Daniel fights to regain possession of the ball during the Iowa State vs Missouri game on August 19th. The Tigers beat the Cyclones in double overtime 2-1.

The defense is the strength of the Panthers' team as they have held their opponents scoreless in three games. On average they allow one goal per game.

Since the soccer program began in 1996, the Cyclones are undefeated against Northern Iowa and have won 11 games against them, two of them with Minatta as coach.

"They're a hard-working, blue-collar team, so they're going to come out work hard, play hard, and we have to match that," said sophomore Marin Daniel.

The Cyclones have played very good teams this season and have come very close to winning some of those games. Despite that, the Cyclones are 2-5-1 this season.

"If we can minimize those mistakes, it'll put us in much better position to win, and that's what we need to work on," Minatta said.