Jhoanmy Luque

Iowa State's Jhoanmy Luque finishes ninth in the triple jump at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships on March 11, 2017, in College Station, Texas. 

It's postseason time yet again for the Iowa State track and field team.

After competing in the NCAA Indoor Championships in March, the squad will be making their way to Austin, Texas, for the NCAA Track & Field West Preliminaries.

Across each event in the prelims, 48 athletes, 24 in relay events, will be competing for 12 spots to see who will be advancing to the National Championship in Eugene, Oregon, in June.

The Cyclones will be sending 18 athletes to compete throughout the weekend.

The most experienced of the group is six-time All-American Jhoanmy Luque, who is trying to qualify for a third-straight trip to the National Championships.

Luque, a Carabobo, Venezuela native enters the competition as the No. 1 seed in the triple jump, the event that earned her all-american honors last season.

Although Luque is the lone Cyclone participating in the triple jump, she will be joined by Allanah McCorkle in the long jump. The two are the No. 5 and No. 7 seeds for the event respectively.

drake relays-66.jpg

Iowa State freshman Larkin Chapman competes in the women's 800-meter relay at the Drake Relays in Des Moines April 28. The Cyclone relay of Chapman, Erinn Stenmann-Fahey, Evelyne Guay and Jasmine Staebler placed second with a time of 8:41.10.

Another All-American competing is Jasmine Staebler, who competed in women’s 800-meter run at the NCAA Indoor Championships in March. Her and Erinn Stenman-Fahey will be trying to conquer the same event this week.

Making their second appearances in prelims are Kelly Naumann in the 3,000-meter steeplechase and Ariana Kuhn in the hammer throw.

On the men’s side of the jumping competitions is Jalen Ford, a junior who jumped a personal best 6-11 ½ during last year’s prelims. Ford is still trying to clear seven feet.

Big Four track and field

Freshman high jumper Jalen Ford jumps during the indoor Big Four Duals on Jan. 24. Ford recorded a jump of 2.05 meters.

Other athletes who are competing in their third West Prelims include Derek Jones, competing in the men’s 400 hurdles; Erin Hooker in the women’s 5,000 run; and Evelyne Guay in the women’s 1,500-meter run.

Five Cyclones will make their first-ever appearance at this weekend’s West Prelims, all making their debuts in the distance category.

Thomas Pollard used a second-place finish in the 10,000-meter run at the Big 12 Championships to secure his spot.

Pollard will join Dan Curts and Christian DeLago running the 1,500-meter run, Andrew Jordan in the 5,000, and Anne Frisbie in the 10,000 in making their first appearances in the West Prelims.

Events on Thursday will start at 11 a.m. with the women's hammer throw.