SWIM/DIVE

A member of the Iowa State Swim and Dive Team swimming the 100 breaststroke during their duel meet at Beyer Hall against the Kansas Jayhawks on Feb. 2.

Iowa State’s swimming and diving team will travel to Austin, Texas, for the upcoming Big 12 Championship.

It is time to decide who is the final winner of the conference, even though Texas is far ahead of the rest of the pack.

For the Cyclones, defeating the rest of teams is a huge success.

Senior Laura Miksch has attended the Big 12 Championship three times. The rich experience allows her to face challenges with a calm mindset.

“I think the biggest challenges for the whole team is going to be staying, presenting and focusing on each session all the time,” Miksch said. “Every race we have competitive opponents, West Virginia, TCU and other teams.”

SWIM/DIVE

An Iowa State swimmer swimming the 100 meter breaststroke during their duel meet against the University of Kansas on Feb. 2 at Beyer Hall.

Certainly, Miksch is looking forward to her last swimming competition.

“I am nailing every practice and working hard,” Miksch said. “Because it is the last opportunity that I can have fun.”

At last year’s meet, swim and dive finished in third place at the Big 12 Championship. Junior Haley Ruegemer had a stellar performance in Austin, especially for the distance freestyle.

In addition to distance freestyle, Ruegemer will focus on individual medley this year.

swimming2.jpg

Iowa State competes against South Dakota and Texas on Nov 10 in Beyer Hall.

For practicing both events, she had to balance her training time.

“I think it is really a compliment to each other,” Ruegemer said. “Distance training really helps me and my full range IM have 100 freestyle at the end. I have a straight advantage because of my distance training.”

Ruegemer said she believes the biggest challenge is keeping focused on her own race without being distracted.

swimming8.jpg

The Iowa State Dive Team shows off their moves against South Dakota and Texas. 

When swimmers around her are super powerful and have diverse swimming styles, Ruegemer must keep her own tempo and focus on individual races.

“Last year I had nice meets and a nice season,” Ruegemer said. “I’d really like to stand out more than what I did last year, hopefully improving my times.”

Traditionally, swimming and diving head coach Duane Sorenson looks into the Big 12 Championship as a whole and still aims at second place, the best rank they had achieved.

Sorenson’s interview

Compared to the previous seasons, the whole performance in regular season meets for Iowa State has not been so satisfying.

This younger team needs more training to improve their times on paper.

isu swim meet

Sophomore Anna Andersen swims backstroke in the Beyer Hall pool on Oct. 27. 

Sorenson encourages the freshmen to learn more from classes from the competition.

“We’ve got a number of transfers. This is their first time at Big 12 Championships,” Sorenson said. “I would say over half the team is all basically rookies to this meet, but we just gotta go out there and race.”

Zara Dolores

If you don't have an existing relationship with the owner, then you'd want to contact them first perhaps through a commercial real estate broker. Something that may help in approaching the private duty nursing chicago would be an architect's mock-up drawing, it doesn't have to be anything in depth just a simple rendering should give them a good idea of your plans. The designers can help you out. After you work out the details with the building owner and the architect, then you're free to approach a contractor.