iowa state classic-7.jpg

Iowa State junior Vlad Pavlenko yells while competing in the men's weight throw during the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 9, 2018. Pavlenko had a best throw of 61-5 1/2.

The indoor season is coming to an end.

As the Iowa State men’s track and field team gets ready for the Big 12 Championships, it still had one weekend of competition left. They sent a few athletes to Lincoln, Nebraska, and South Bend, Indiana.

Originally, Iowa State was going to send their medley relay team to North Carolina, but because weather wouldn’t permit that, they were instead sent to the Alex Wilson Invitational at Notre Dame.

The action started on Friday in Nebraska, as juniors Chandler Diercks and Vlad Pavlenko competed in the long jump and weight throw respectively.

Pavlenko placed fifth in the weight throw with a throw of 67-0 ½. Pavlenko is coming off a week where he was not happy with how he performed. His personal best is 67-4 ¾, so this throw was very close to that.

Diercks, on the other hand, did not have his best meet. He finished eighth with a score of 22-1. Diercks will look to bounce back for the biggest meet of the year next week.

iowa state classic-12.jpg

Iowa State sophomore Chandler Diercks competes in the men's long jump during the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 9, 2018. Diercks had a best jump of 22-6 1/2.

On Saturday, the medley relay team was in Notre Dame.

The team consisting of Zach Black, Jaymes Dennison, Roshon Roomes and Dan Curts finished second in section two which gave them seventh overall. They recorded a time of 9:32.14.

Besides the medley relay, this weekend was pretty much to get ready for the Big 12 Championships next weekend.

Now that this weekend has finished, championship season has officially started.