Big 12 Track & Field Championships_19.jpg

Freshman Jalen Ford attempts to clear the high jump bar at the Big 12 Outdoor Track & Field Championships at the Cyclone Sports Complex in Ames on May 16, 2015.

The Iowa State’s men’s track and field team found success in Tulsa this weekend as they competed in the Tulsa Duels and were able to try some new things in their first outdoor meet of the season.

The action started on Friday with Vlad Pavlenko, Chris Celona and Brett Peters sweeping the hammer throw for the Cyclones by earning first, second and third.

Pavlenko recorded his personal best with a throw of 59.42 meters in the event, which is a testament to the work he has done for the weight throw as well as for the hammer throw.

4x800-6931.jpg

Iowa State freshman Roshon Roomes hands the baton off to junior Jaymes Dennison during the 4x800 in Des Moines at the Drake Relays on April 28. The Cyclones finished second with a time of 7:25.86.

Later in the day, sophomore Blake Hughes competed in his first javelin throw of the year as well as the team’s. He was only one of two competitors in this event, and he placed second with a throw of 48.43 meters. These were the only two events that the Cyclones competed in on Friday.

On Saturday, the action picked back up again as senior Jalen Ford and sophomore Cody Durbin ended first and second in the high jump, respectively. Ford finished with a jump of 2.13 meters.

Middle-distance runners Roshon Roomes and Jaymes Dennison picked up where they left off two weeks ago as they made some noise in the 400-meter run placing first and second with times of 47.87 and 47.98 respectively.

IMG_5991.jpg

Junior Eric Fogltanz compete during day two of the Iowa State Classic Feb.11 in Lied Recreation Athletic Center.

Someone who hasn’t been able to gain much traction yet this year is junior sprinter and hurdler Eric Fogltanz. Fogltanz had a season-ending injury last season and has been easing himself back.

On Saturday, Fogltanz competed in the 400-meter hurdles and he placed first with a time of 52.49 seconds. With results like this it’s hard to imagine that he is not close to 100 percent.

Iowa State will pick up again in two weeks at the Stanford Invitational in Stanford, California.