big 12 indoor track day two-4.jpg

Freshman Wyatt Rhoads competes in the pole vault as part of the men's heptathalon at the Big 12 Indoor Championships held at the Lied Rec Center on Feb. 27. 

Friday was not an encouraging day for the Iowa state men’s track and field team. On the first day of the Larry Wieczorek Invitational, the Cyclones did not take home any first-place finishes.

There were a couple noteworthy performances in the meet. Junior thrower Vlad Pavlenko finished second in the weight throw losing to Kansas State senior Mitch Dixon. Pavlenko had noted earlier in the week that Dixon was going to be a tough challenger this weekend. Seniors Chris Celona and Brett Peters finished sixth and seventh in the event.

Dennison 400 relay ISU Classic

Jaymes Dennison runs the final leg of the 400-meter relay during the Iowa State Classic on February 11 at Lied Recreational Center.

Aside from Pavlenko, there weren’t a lot of solid performances. In the 600-meter run sophomore Ka’Ven Berry finished first in his preliminary section, but didn’t crack the top five in the finals. Senior Jaymes Dennison finished third in the finals of this event.

Junior Wyatt Rhoads has been competing in the heptathlon for the Cyclones and he will be finishing that up on Saturday.

Other than these events there wasn’t much success for the Cyclone men’s team on Friday. Although this may be disappointing for the team, this is a two-day event, so they will look to bounce back tomorrow.