dan curts

Iowa State redshirt sophomore Dan Curts makes a move to the front of the pack during the men's distance medley relay at the Drake Relays in Des Moines April 29. The Cyclones finished ninth in 10:02.25.

Iowa State men’s track and field got off to a good start on Thursday and Friday in Azusa and Stanford, California.

On Thursday, sophomores Stanley Langat and John Nownes kicked off the weekend in the Bryan Clay Invitational with a couple solid times in the 5000-meter run. Langat recorded his best time of the season with a finish of 14:17.39. Nownes followed that up with his personal record by over 20 seconds with a time of 14:11.34.

On Friday, junior Greyson Dolezal finished with his personal record in the 1500-meter run with a time of 3:54.07. Sophomore Edwin Kurgat was next up in that event and didn’t disappoint with a personal best of 3.47.41.

The Cardinal Classic also started strong for the Cyclones as junior Eric Fogltanz set his personal record and finished second in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 51.48. Fogltanz was beat by Michigan’s Taylor McLaughlin by less than a second.

Fogltanz 400 relay Iowa State Classic

Eric Fogltanz competed in the 400-meter relay along with Ben Kelly, Roshon Roomes and Jaymes Dennison. They finished in third place during the Iowa State Classic on February 11 at the Lied Recreation Center.

In the 800-meter run, sophomore Ka’Ven Berry finished first in his section with a time of 1:54.52 while sophomore Festus Lagat and freshman Frank Hayes finished fourth and fifth in the 800-meter run invite with times of 1:51.19 and 1:52.19, respectively.

In the 5000-meter run invite, redshirt junior Dan Curts set his personal record with a time of 13:45.69 and it helped him to hold his own in a tough field by earning 11th.

After seeing success on Friday, the Cardinal Classic continues as the Michael Johnson Invitational gets underway for Iowa State.