big 12 track

Sophomore Frank Hayes runs in the Mens 800 M at the Big 12 Track and Field Championship at Lied Rec. Center on Feb. 24. Hayes finished in fifth place with a time of 1:50.42.

Back to the basics.

The Iowa State men’s track and field team turned to their middle-distance depth for the Sun Angel Classic in Tempe, Arizona, and were able to find some success.

Afternoon

The Cyclones started the day in the 110-meter hurdles, which featured seniors Logan Schneider and Elijah Young. Schneider finished in eighth and set a new personal record with a time of 14.14 seconds

Later in the day, freshman Frank Hayes finished 11th in the 400-meter dash with a time of 48.15. Redshirt senior Anderson Devonish of Illinois State placed first in the event with a time of 46.38.

Soon after, the 400-meter hurdles were run by junior Eric Fogltanz and Young. Fogltanz finished in sixth in the event and almost topped his career best with a time of 52.27 seconds. He placed second in his heat. Young finished fifth in his heat.

Sophomore Zach Black finished the first half of the day by placing first in the 800-meter run with his personal best of 1:50.76. 

4x800-6931.jpg

Iowa State freshman Roshon Roomes hands the baton off to junior Jaymes Dennison during the 4x800 in Des Moines at the Drake Relays on April 28. The Cyclones finished second with a time of 7:25.86.

Evening

In the 800-meter run premiere field, the Cyclones snagged fourth, fifth and sixth with impressive times all-around. Sophomore Roshon Roomes shaved 0.09 seconds off his personal best with a time of 1:47.60, and he was followed by senior Jaymes Dennison and sophomore Festus Lagat.

Junior Greyson Dolezal finished the day with his first outdoor mile as a Cyclone and earned sixth place in the event. He recorded a time of 4:16.11.

Analysis

dolezal

Iowa State's Greyson Dolezal during the Big 12 Outdoor Track and Field Championships at Rock Chalk Park in Lawrence, Kansas on May 12, 2017. 

The Cyclones had some standout performances and relied on their biggest strength which is depth. A lot of personal records were set so it should be viewed as successful in the eyes of a Cyclone track and field fan.

With the season dwindling down, meets like this can be very important for preparation, but in the distance, an ominous cloud looms.

The Big 12 Championships.