tennis

Senior Natalie Phippen played for Iowa State Tennis on April 23. Phippen has been a member of the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll and an ISU Scholar-Athlete. She fell 0-6, 0-4 during her match against Katarina Stresnakova of OSU.

The Iowa State Cyclones were defeated by the No. 16 Kansas Jayhawks this afternoon, 4-0.

The Jayhawks put on a dominate performance this afternoon, going undefeated in singles and doubles play. 

The Jayhawks' Janet Koch and Amber Policare defeated Annabella Bonadonna and Erin Freeman, 6-0, to gain the early advantage. At the No. 3 position, Despoina Vogasari and Maria Toran Ribes secured the point with a 6-2 win over the Cyclones' Margarita Timakova and Ekaterina Repina. 

Kansas had control throughout the whole match. In singles, Nina Khmelnitckaia defeated Freeman 6-1, 6-1, at the No. 3 position to go up 2-0 early in the match. 

Singles:

No. 1: Maty Cancini was defeated by Despoina Vogasari (KU) 7-6 in the first set, the second and third sets went unfinished.

No. 2: Regina Espindola was defeated by Janet Koch (KU) 6-3, 6-2.

No. 3: Erin Freeman was defeated by Nina Khmelnitckaia (KU) 6-1, 6-1.

No. 4: Ekaterina Repina was defeated by Maria Toran Ribes (KU) 6-1, 6-2.

No. 5: Margarita Timakova was defeated by Tatiana Nikolaeva (KU) 6-7, the second and third sets went unfinished. 

No. 6: Annabella Bonadonna was defeated by Amber Policare (KU) 6-0, the second match went unfinished 5-3.

Doubles:

No. 1: Cancini/Espindola were defeated by Khmelnitckaia/Nikolaeva (KU) 3-4, the match went unfinished.

No. 2: Bonadonna/Freeman were defeated by Koch/Policare (KU) 6-0.

No. 3: Timakova/Repina were defeated by Vogasari/Ribes (KU) 6-2.

The Cyclones will look to bounce back as they play the Kansas State Wildcats on Saturday at 10 a.m. in Urbandale, Iowa.