Hockey v Illinois State

Senior forward Aaron Azevedo fights for the puck in a face-off against Illinois State. Azevedo contributed multiple assists during the first game in the weekend series.

The Cyclones returned home to the Ames/ISU Ice Arena in their second matchup with Illinois Fighting Illini. The Cyclones won against the Fighting Illini by a final score of 6-3.

Senior forward Aaron Azevedo started the game off with a power play goal just under three minutes into the game.

Freshman forward C.J. Banser struck next for the Cyclones, finding the back of the net a couple minutes later, giving the Cyclones a 2-0 lead. Sophomore Dylan Goggin scored after his shot deflected off the leg of an Illinois defenseman, improving the Cyclone lead to 3-0.

The Cyclones ended the first period with a power play goal from sophomore defenseman Max Olson. The Cyclones went into the first intermission with a 4-0 lead.

The Fighting Illini’s Luke Forfar scored a power play goal to start the second period, bringing the score to 4-1.

Tony Uglem responded with a goal a minute later, moving the Cyclone lead to 5-1. The last goal in the second period came from the Fighting Illini’s Stephen Quinn, ending the second period 5-2.

The Fighting Illini started the third period with power play goal from Quinn, his second of the game.

Uglem responded right away with his second goal of the night, giving the Cyclones a 6-3 lead. The Cyclones held the lead for the remainder of the game, winning 6-3 over the Fighting Illini.