Cyclone Hockey vs Minot State

Max Olson, #4 on the Cyclone hockey team at Friday night's game. The game was held at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena. The Cyclones won the game against Minot State with a final score of 3-1. 

After a weekend off, Cyclone Hockey is ready to hit the ice again against Robert Morris University for the last two games of 2018.

The Cyclones are in the midst of a five-game winning streak, one that they hope to extend against Robert Morris, their CSCHL rival.

“The timing [of the break] wasn’t the greatest, because we were playing pretty well,” said head coach and general manager Jason Fairman. “So hopefully we can continue where we left off.”

The Cyclones left off with a sweep against University of Central Oklahoma on the road, Nov. 2 and Nov. 3.

This weekend, they look to slow down their No. 18 ranked rival.

“We’ve got to play our game,” said sophomore defenseman Max Olson. “If we play together as a team, they won’t be able to stay with us.”

Cyclone Hockey vs Waldorf University

Cyclone Hockey player Max Olson, #4, communicates with his teammates. This was at Friday night's game at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena against Waldorf University. 

Olson also added that Robert Morris is an opportunistic team, who takes advantage of every mistake and knows how to capitalize.

The Cyclones are all too familiar with this team and their style of play, as they beat Robert Morris in last season’s CSCHL Playoffs, and were beaten by them in the national tournament.

Fairman said they’re not focused on what happened last year, but that the rivalry certainly might add a little motivation for the guys.

Currently, the Cyclones are ranked No. 5 with a record of 9-3. So far, Fairman is pretty satisfied with where the team is at.

“I think if someone told us that we were going to be 11-3 at this point, with two more games to play, I think we’d take that, considering our first half schedule.”

The Cyclones have consistently had a tough strength schedule the past few years, constantly playing top ranked teams. So nothing has ever come easy for the team.

For this weekend, all they can do is aim for two more wins to get to that desired 11-3 record before going into their break until Jan. 11.

“As far as rankings go, we always feel the pressure of having to win each and every weekend,” Fairman said. “But there is an added element of playing the last two games of the semester, having to think about those two games until your next game in January.”

The Cyclones will continue on the road in January to play Missouri State before finally coming back to their home ice on Jan. 18 and Jan. 19 to play Robert Morris for the last time during the regular season.

Before that comes, though, the players can enjoy some time to rest before returning to the ice next semester.

“A break is always good. Rested legs, especially after the last three weekends that have been pretty hard,” Olson said. “So it will be good to get a little break, and then we’ll get right back into it [in January].”