20181005-Hockey-20.jpg

Cyclone Hockey's Trevor Sabo takes a shot against Alabama Hockey's Garret Kingsbury during the game Oct. 5 at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena

The Cyclones hit the ice in Champaign, Illinois, to take on the University of Illinois Fighting Illini. The Cyclones were defeated by the Illini 4-3 in overtime.

Kacper Ryba scored the first goal of the game with 13:56 left in the first period, giving the Illini the first lead.

Minutes later, junior forward Jackson Graalum responded with a goal for the Cyclones, tying the game up at 1-1.

The Illini took the lead back right afterwards with a goal from Robert Ernsting.

The Cyclones tied the game up once again with a goal from senior forward Colton Kramer. The first period ended with the game tied 2-2.

Senior forward Trevor Sabo found the back of the net with 10:02 left in the second period, giving the Cyclones a 3-2 lead.

The Illini tied the game up seconds later with a goal from Drew Richter. The game remained 3-3 for the rest of the second period.

Neither team found the back of the net during the third period, which led the game to a 3-on-3 overtime.

Tyler Opilka won it in overtime for the Illini after his rebound shot found the back of the net.

The Cyclones and the Illini will face off again on Saturday at 7 p.m. in Champaign, Illinois.