20181005-Hockey-20.jpg

Cyclone Hockey's Trevor Sabo takes a shot against Alabama Hockey's Garret Kingsbury during the game Oct. 5 at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena

The No. 4 ranked Cyclones took on the No. 1 ranked Lindenwood Lions in a ACHA top five and CSCHL matchup on Friday. The Cyclones lost the first game of the series 2-1, with the game ending in a shootout.

Despite a large number of scoring opportunities for the Lions, the Cyclones struck first. Senior forward Trevor Sabo buried one in the back of the net nearly halfway through the first period, giving the Cyclones the first lead of the game.

The Cyclones held on to the 1-0 lead going into the first intermission.

Jordan Klimovsky tied things up for the Lions, socring just over halfway through the second period. The game remained tied going into the second intermission.

Neither team managed to score during the third period, forcing the game into a 4-on-4 overtime with a 1-1 score.

Much like the third period, neither team scored during the 4-on-4 overtime, forcing the game into a shootout.

The Lions won it in the shootout, with their goals coming from Ryan Finnegan and Jake Townsend. Senior forward Aaron Azevedo scored the only goal for the Cyclones.

The Cyclones and the Lions will faceoff again on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. inside the Ames/ISU Ice Arena.