IMG_7515.JPG

Goaltender Matt Goedeke makes a save against the Lindenwood Lions in the first period on Feb. 2. The Cyclones lost 5-3.  

Cyclone Hockey took on the CSCHL tournament on Saturday night, playing No. 4 Ohio University. The Cyclones lost a close one to the Bobcats, falling 2-1.

Ohio struck first 6:53 into the second period, after a scoreless first period. The Bobcats’ Zach Frank capitalized for the opposition.

However, senior forward Tony Uglem tied the game at one just over two minutes later, which went on to be the final goal scored in the period.

IMG_8267.JPG

Cyclone forward Tony Uglem celebrates his second goal of the game late in the third period with his fellow teammates. The Cyclones lost 5-3 against the Lindenwood Lions on Feb. 3.

Both teams had multiple opportunities on the man advantage, but neither team ever capitalized, resulting in perfect penalty kills for both sides.

Ohio eventually broke the tie with 6:59 to play in the third period, courtesy of Garrett Jenkins.

The Cyclones fought hard to tie the game in the closing minutes, even hitting the goalpost with just seconds remaining, but couldn’t even the score.

Senior goaltender Matt Goedeke had a strong showing, stopping 28 of 30 shots he faced. The Cyclones also peppered Ohio goaltender Jimmy Thomas with 30 shots on goal.

ISU v Ohio University 4.JPG

Senior goaltender Matt Goedeke during the game against the Ohio University Bobcats at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena on Oct. 19. The Bobcats ended up beating the Cyclones 4-1.

Cyclones Hockey will now return home for a week of practice, before heading to Dallas, Texas, for the national tournament, where they will face No. 12 Stony Brook on Saturday, March 23.

From here, they’ll put the CSCHL tournament behind them, and focus on the bigger prize at nationals.