20181005-Hockey-8.jpg

Cyclone Hockey's Jared Erickson celebrates moments after scoring on Alabama Hockey during their game on Oct. 5 at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena. The Cyclones won 4-3.

The Cyclones took the ice against the University of Illinois on Friday night, beating the Illini 4-1 in the first game of the weekend series.

The Illini struck first, scoring 3:17 into the first period courtesy of Bobby Ernsting. The Cyclones killed two penalties and kept the score at 1-0 going into the second intermission.

Senior forward Tony Uglem tied it for the Cyclones with 11:28 left in the second period while skating 4-on-4. The goal came on a perfect cross-ice pass from senior forward Aaron Azevedo.

20181005-Hockey-2.jpg

Cyclone Hockey's Tony Uglem takes a shot on goal during the game against Alabama Hockey Oct. 5 at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena.

Uglem added another goal just over a minute later in the remaining seconds of what was then a Cyclone power play.

Sophomore forward Jared Erickson then scored with 2:58 left in the period, extending the Cyclones’ lead to 3-1 going into the second intermission.

The third period remained scoreless until the Illini pulled their goaltender and freshman forward Nick Rogers sealed the deal with an empty net goal.

The Cyclones and the Illini will meet again on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. to close out the weekend series.