IMG_7597.JPG

Forward Tony Uglem celebrates with his teammates after scoring the tying goal half way through the first period. The Cyclones lost 5-3 on Feb. 3 against Lindenwood. 

The No. 5 Cyclones are making their big return to the ACHA Men’s Division I championship game after the Cyclones defeated the No. 2 Michigan-Dearborn Wolverines 3-2 in double overtime Monday.

The Cyclones started out strong with a goal from senior forward Trevor Sabo, giving the Cyclones the early lead over a talented Wolverines team.

Tyler Groat stepped up for the Wolverines after the Sabo goal. Groat found the back of the net just over halfway through the first period. Groat then capitalized on a power play opportunity, scoring his second goal of the game and giving the Wolverines a 2-1 lead heading into the first intermission.

The Wolverines put in a third goal to go up 3-1, but it was challenged by Iowa State, which ultimately led to the goal being waived off, returning the score to 2-1. Neither team had success finding the back of the net throughout the second period and much of the third period.

Time started to run low in the third period for the Cyclones. With under two minutes left in the game, senior defenseman Nick Sandy buried a shot, tying the game up.

The game went into a full overtime period, where both teams had good looks, but weren’t able to end the game, forcing the game into a second overtime period.

Senior forward Colton Kramer was the one to end it for the Cyclones. Kramer deflected a shot that went into the back of the net, sending the Cyclones back to the ACHA Men’s Division I championship game.

The Cyclones will face the winner of the matchup between No. 1 Lindenwood and No. 6 Minot State. If Lindenwood wins, the championship game would be a rematch of the 2015-16 championship game in which Lindenwood defeated Iowa State. That game was Iowa State’s last appearance in the championship game.

The puck drops for the championship game on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at the Comerica Center in Frisco, Texas, and will be streamed live from the ACHA National Championships YouTube page.