After losing to the North Iowa Bulls last weekend, the ISU hockey club needed a bounce-back game against Robert Morris, and that’s exactly what it got.

No. 11 Iowa State beat No. 7 Robert Morris 3-1. ISU goaltender Scott Ismond stopped 34/35 shots in the game

ISU junior forward Jon Feavel scored the only goal of the first period, giving the Cyclones the early lead to carry into the second period.

Neither team scored in the second period, but both teams were getting physical after the whistle was blown throughout the period. The Eagles had several power play opportunities in the second period, but Ismond held strong stopping all 17 shots he faced.

The Cyclones expanded their lead 7:41 into the third period with a goal by ISU forward James Buttermore. Buttermore lit the lamp again less than two minutes later to give the Cyclones a 3-0 lead.

Robert Morris got their first goal of the game 10:49 into the third period off a turnover by ISU forward David Kurbatsky near the faceoff circle to the left of Ismond. The Cyclones held on for the rest of the game for the victory.

Post a comment