iowa state classic-7.jpg

Iowa State junior Vlad Pavlenko yells while competing in the men's weight throw during the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 9, 2018. Pavlenko had a best throw of 61-5 1/2.

Ready. Hammer. Throw.

The Iowa State men’s track and field team competed only in the hammer throw on the first day of the Sun Angel Classic in Tempe, Arizona.

Junior Vlad Pavlenko was placed in the highest field for the event and was able to place sixth with a throw of 199 feet. Pavlenko set his personal record in the event, but was facing a tough field.

Gleb Dudarev, a sophomore from Kansas who won the event, had a huge throw of 243-feet-11. Dudarev did not compete in the weight throw during the indoor season and will redshirt for next year in that event.

iowa state classic-8.jpg

Iowa State senior Chris Celona competes in the men's weight throw during the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 9, 2018. Celona had a best throw of 57-10 1/2.

Seniors Chris Celona and Brett Peters competed in the hammer throw as well, but at a different time.

Celona finished third with a throw of 188-feet-3 while Peters placed sixth in the event with a throw of 177-feet-8.

The Cyclones will kick off a busy Saturday with the 110m hurdles in day two of the Sun Angel Classic.