IMG_2392.jpg

Iowa State freshman Tyrese Haliburton dunks after the final buzzer in the Cyclones' 63-59 win over Kansas State to send Iowa State to the Big 12 Championship in 2018. Haliburton was one of 18 players named as a finalist for the 2019 U19 FIBA World Cup team on Tuesday.

Standout sophomore Tyrese Haliburton earned an invite to the 2019 U19 Team USA World Cup training camp — the player's first time participating in international basketball.

Haliburton is one of 34 total players who were invited to the camp, which will be held in Colorado Springs, Colo. from June 15-18. 

If Haliburton makes the roster, he will travel to Greece to take part in the World Cup on June 24.

In his freshman year, Haliburton averaged 6.8 points, 3.6 assists, 3.4 rebounds and 1.5 steals a game. The 6-foot-5-inch point guard also set the school record for assists in a game with 17 against Southern on December 9.

As a scorer, Haliburton was extremely efficient from the floor (51.5%) and three-point line (43.4%). He was the only player to shoot above 40% from three on the team.

Despite his efficiency scoring, Haliburton was sixth on the team in total shots attempted.

The head coach of the team will be a familiar face for Haliburton in Kansas State's Bruce Weber, who coached the team to a 25-9 record. The Wildcats lost to No. 13 seed UC-Irvine in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.