IMG_5485.JPG

Head football coach Matt Campbell surveys the team at the end of the 2017 Cyclone Football spring game.

Last season, the Iowa State spring football game was canceled as a precaution for poor field conditions from weather.

This year, Iowa State proactively made the decision to not have a spring game due to weather and construction, as they announced in a press release on Wednesday.

"As a result of the uncertain weather conditions we face each spring in Iowa, plus the site preparation work that will begin this Spring for the new Sports Performance Center project, Coach Campbell and I have decided to not schedule a spring football game," said Iowa State Athletic Director Jamie Pollard in the release. "Similar to last year, Coach Campbell and his staff can use that day to conduct a 15th spring practice which they feel is more beneficial for the overall development of the student-athletes and the football program."

Iowa State also announced its pro day — an assessment of skills for potential NFL prospects — will be on March 26. Spring practices will begin on March 12.