155A3528.JPG

Iowa State offensive coordinator Tom Manning speaks with media on Dec. 28 in Memphis.

After a year in Indianapolis, former Iowa State offensive coordinator Tom Manning is reportedly heading back to Ames.

Manning is expected to be named the Cyclones' offensive coordinator and run game coordinator as early as next week, according to various reports. Chris Williams of Cyclone Fanatic broke the news first on Twitter.

The rumors of Manning's potential return picked up steam on Friday morning, and for a brief time, Iowa State's athletics website had updated Manning's staff biography (the update was subsequently removed):

A mainstay on coach Matt Campbell's staff since he was hired at Toledo in 2012, this would be Manning's seventh season with Campbell in some capacity.

Manning had spent the 2018 season coaching tight ends for the Colts after spending the 2016-17 seasons as offensive coordinator and offensive line coach for the Cyclones. The Cyclones did not hire an offensive coordinator in his place last season.

In Manning's two years as offensive coordinator, the Cyclones averaged 27.2 points a game in 2016 and 29.2 points per game in 2017.

The Cyclones' potential hire of Manning could mean a reshuffling of the offensive staff, but that remains to be seen.