IMG_2675.jpg

Junior running back David Montgomery runs down the field during the second half of the Valero Alamo Bowl Dec. 29. The Cyclones were defeated 26 to 28.

Entering the 2018 season, junior running back David Montgomery appeared to be a candidate to break Iowa State's NFL Draft drought, dating back to 2014 when Jeremiah George went in the fifth round.

Now, Montgomery officially declared for the NFL Draft, forgoing his senior season. The running back announced the decision on Twitter.

Montgomery features a well-rounded skill set. The Cincinnati native doesn't have absurd speed or size, but Montgomery has exceptional balance and the ability to break tackles.

In his three seasons at Iowa State, Montgomery compiled 2,925 yards on a 4.7 yard per carry average. Montgomery scored 13 touchdowns this year and totaled 26 in his career.

In the passing game, Montgomery snagged 71 passes for 582 yards over three seasons.

Montgomery is listed as the No. 37 overall prospect and the second-highest running back (Alabama senior Damien Harris is No. 36) by CBSSports.com.

If an NFL team selects Montgomery, he'd be the first Iowa State running back drafted since Troy Davis by the New Orleans Saints in 1997 (third round, 62nd overall).