Football20.JPG

Defensive back, Braxton Lewis, stops Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Kyler Murray during their game at Jack Trice Stadium on Sept. 15. The Cyclones lost 37-27.

Iowa State's 48-42 victory over Oklahoma State caught some national attention. The Cyclones were underdogs in Stillwater, Oklahoma, by about 10 points, according to ESPN.

Freshman quarterback Brock Purdy entered the Oklahoma State game having played two snaps prior. He lit up Oklahoma State's defense to the tune of 48 points.

Purdy threw for 318 yards (18-of-23 passing) and rushed for another 84, along with five total touchdowns (four passing, one rushing).

As a result, Purdy was named Big 12 Newcomer of the Week and also was named National Freshman of the Week by CBS Sports.

On the defensive side of the ball, redshirt junior safety Braxton Lewis was named Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week. He led Iowa State with seven total tackles and had a key defensive play when he intercepted a pass along the sideline in the fourth quarter.

Lewis has all three of Iowa State's interceptions this season.