Iowa State football commit Darien Porter of Bettendorf, Iowa set the state's 400 meter dash record this Friday -- finishing the race in 46.99 seconds. The previous record was held by Calvin Davis from Iowa City -- who ran the race in 47.01 seconds in 2002.

According to Rivals, Porter -- a high school senior -- is a three star wide receiver and is listed at six-foot-four-inches and 175 pounds.

Porter has displayed he has the capability of being a burner as a downfield receiver and combined with his size -- Porter has the tools of a elite receiver in the making.

Iowa State has had success recently with tall receivers as the team's No. 1 option including six-foot-five-inch Allen Lazard and six-foot-six-inch Hakeem Butler.

isu vs memphis-22.jpg

Iowa State wide receivers Allen Lazard and Hakeem Butler celebrate a touchdown during the 59th Annual AutoZone Liberty Bowl in Memphis, Tennessee on Dec. 30, 2017. The Cyclones defeated the Tigers 21-20.

Neither player had exceptional straight-line speed, but both excelled at being able to use their height to beat defensive backs downfield.

Lazard ran a 4.56 40 yard dash at the 2018 NFL Combine and Butler ran a 4.48 40 at the 2019 combine.

If Porter wants to emulate the success of Lazard and Butler, he will need to improve his body in the weight room. Both Lazard and Butler checked in above 225 pounds at the combine while Porter weighs in around 175 pounds.