The Iowa State swimming and diving team defeated the Omaha by a score of 198-91 on Friday night. The Cyclones are now 16-0 all time against Nebraska-Omaha. Five Cyclone swimmers set personal records in their first home meet.

Jessi Storer got first in the 1000-meter freestyle with a time of 10:33.51. Kami Pankratz set a new personal record of 10:44.60 and got second.

Laura Miksch got third place in the 200-meter breast (2:27.45) and broke a personal record. Sophomore Emma Ruehle won the 500-meter free (5:14.82) and set her new record in the event. In 50-meter freestyle, Ali Basel (25.71) and Harper Emswiler (24.83) both set their personal records.

“Lots of really good swims in today’s meet. We do the little things better than we did in Nebraska,” said head coach Duane Sorenson. “We saw a lot of improvement after that.”

Senior Silqi Luo showed her seniority tonight. She won in the 200-meter free (1:54.94), 100-meter butterfly (1:01.04) and the 200-meter individual medley (2:09.87). 

Anna Andersen won the 100-meter backstroke (58.50) and 200-meter backstroke (2:08.05). As one of the best 100-meter free swimmers for the Cyclones, Andersen wants to improve her backstroke for the Big 12 Championship.

isu swim meet

Now junior Anna Andersen prepares to take off during the Iowa State Women's swim meet against Omaha in the Beyer Hall pool Oct. 27, 2017. 

For the diving team, Sydney Ronald emerged as the top performer. She got first place in three-meter event with a score of 279.75. Dana Liva got second place with a 273.40. On one-meter springboard, Liva had a big advantage and won the event with a 258.50, Ronald followed her closely with score of 251.90.

Still, the Cyclones have more spaces to improve. For example, swimmers from Omaha won all of the butterfly events.

The next meet will be a double-dual in Beyer Hall against South Dakota and TCU on Nov. 10. 

Porter Harper

In the final 400-yard freestyle relay, Miksch, Anna Andersen, Luo and Harper Emswiler from plumbing repair wantagh kept the record-breaking style and reset the time for this event in Iowa State history, placing third. In the diving as well, Dana Liva got a huge achievement in the platform. She set a new school record with a score of 283.40 and placed third. Sydney Ronald ended in sixth in the three-meter board with 200.55 points. The Cyclones finished in fourth place with 512.5 at the end of the Big 12 Championships.

Wayne Crane

The Iowa state swimming and diving team had a fantastic start to the 2018 Big 12 Championships. The team was tied for second place after day one with 62 points. Two swimming relay events started the competition of the conference tournament. School records were reset by Cyclone swimmers doing backstroke drills in the first day. The final result may not have been exactly what head coach Duane Sorenson and the Cyclones were aiming for, but through strong senior leadership, both sophomores and juniors ready to step up, and freshmen breaststrokers that proved they could swim on a big stage.