Iowa State falls in third round

ISU junior Melvin Ejim drives the ball in against Ohio State in the third-round game of the NCAA tournament on March 24, 2013, at the University of Dayton Arena. Ejim finished the 75-78 loss to the Buckeyes with 10 points.

ISU men's basketball forward Melvin Ejim will declare the 2013 Iowa Special Olympics officially open on Thursday, May 23. Ejim will serve as the Honorary Games Chair for the 2013 games.

"I'm excited to learn and cheer on the athletes and it's exciting they want me to be there and I can participate in what is going on," Ejim said. "Anytime you're in a position that you can impact another person, it's a great feeling."

As the Honorary Games Chair, Ejim holds the honor of declaring the games open for competition at the conclusion of the Parade of Athletes at Hilton Coliseum.

"These athletes are very brave and courageous. There are some things about them that aren't perfect, but they are putting that aside and coming out to have a good time and compete," Ejim said." It takes a lot for a person to come out and compete, but when you add the things in their lives that have affected them, it's a great opportunity to admire their bravery and tenacity to never give up."