IMG_2568.jpg

Iowa State Coach Matt Campbell yells at the ref during the first half of the Valero Alamo Bowl Game Dec 28, 2018. Iowa State received two commitments so far this June.

As of Tuesday, Iowa State football has gained another crop of solid recruits in the 2020 class. The Cyclones have secured two commits from a top-ranked in-state lineman and the second-best long snapper in the nation.

With their commitments, Iowa State has continued to improve its standing recruiting in the nation and in the Big 12 for the 2020 class.

Brady Petersen committed to the Cyclones on June 2 and is the top-ranked offensive tackle in the state of Iowa, according to 247Sports. Petersen is a three-star prospect.

Petersen, who plays for Ankeny Centennial, stands at 6 feet 5 inches tall while weighing in at 270 pounds.

The second June commit for Iowa State is Arizona long snapper Koby Hathcock — a two-star prospect and the second-best player at his position, according to 247Sports.

With those two additions to the recruiting class, Iowa State ranks sixth in the Big 12 and 38th in the nation on 247Sports rankings.

In the Big 12, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Texas respectively rank ahead of Iowa State.

Kansas and new head coach Les Miles rank behind Iowa State in terms of Big 12 recruiting ranking. Previous head coach David Beaty also had a an uptick in the programs recruiting early in his tenure but never had a season with more than three wins.

Matt Campbell has overhauled Iowa State’s recruiting classes from the Paul Rhoades era, with the 2019 recruiting class having two of Iowa State’s top 10 recruits of all time in running backs freshman Breece Hall and freshman Jirehl Brock, who were both four-star recruits.

The Cyclones have yet to receive a commitment from a four-star recruit in the 2020 class.

Including Hall, Iowa State has three other athletes from the 2019 class who had enrolled early into the 2019 spring semester at Iowa State. The other three athletes are freshman Jarrod Hufford, offensive lineman; sophomore Blake Peterson, defensive end and freshman Easton Dean, quarterback.

20181027-Football-9454.jpg

Iowa State redshirt sophomore Greg Eisworth breaks away during the 2018 Homecoming football game against Texas Tech on Oct. 27, 2018. Eisworth won the Big 12 Defensive Newcomer of the Year for the 2018 season.

Sophomore Trevor Downing and senior Greg Eisworth were two Cyclone athletes who enrolled early from the 2018 recruiting class. Both earned playing time last season, with Eisworth earning Big 12 Defensive Newcomer of the Year.

Early contributing players such as Downing, a lineman and Eisworth, a safety — along with sophomore quarterback Brock Purdy and sophomore linebacker Mike Rose, were key contributors on the Iowa State team last year, which finished 8-5 and earned an invite to the Valero Alamo Bowl.