David Irving holding a stop sign

Facing various charges stemming from the Veishea riot, ISU defensive tackle David Irving has been dismissed from the ISU football team. 

Irving was photographed carrying a stop sign and seen on video helping take down a light pole during the riot in Campustown in Ames on April 8 and was criminally charged with fifth degree theft, disorderly conduct and criminal mischief in the second degree, a Class 'D' felony April 11. 

One day after being suspended indefinitely for a violation of the ISU student-athlete code of conduct policy, ISU coach Paul Rhoads announced April 12 after his team's spring game that Irving had been dismissed from the team.

"In the end, it's a privilege and an honor to be a part of this football program and represent Iowa State football and Iowa State athletics and Iowa State University," Rhoads said. "David Irving has exhausted that privilege to represent this football program by not meeting the expectations that we laid out for him."

Ames Police Department Commander Geoff Huff said April 11 that Irving was charged with fifth degree theft after appearing in various photos and video footage carrying a stop sign. The disorderly conduct charge stems from video and photos of Irving involved in the riot, with the stop sign and pushing down a light pole with a group.

Irving's criminal mischief charge, which carries a sentence of up to five years in prison and a fine between $750 and $7,500, stems from helping take down a light pole, which Huff said was caught on video. Huff said the charge is in the second degree because the light pole is valued at $4,400. 

Irving was identified in photos and videos with a 'distinguishable' T-shirt, Huff said. All information on arrests stemming from the riot has been passed to Iowa State, Huff said. ISU President Steven Leath said April 9 students involved would be held accountable while facing possible expulsion. 

In November, Irving was charged with domestic abuse causing injury after police were called to an apartment on a welfare check. Irving was suspended indefinitely and missed the Cyclones' game against Oklahoma before being reinstated. Charges were dropped in that case in January. 

The dismissal of Irving from the football team continues to cut into the Cyclones' defensive line depth as Brandon Jensen left the team in February and Rodney Coe was dismissed from the team in March for a violation of team rules. 

I am absolutely unsurprised that a member of the football team was charged with a crime in this riot. I am also not surprised that he is not married to the mother of his child nor that he was charged with domestic abuse in November.