Frank Rizzo

Martin Smith, Iowa State’s director of the men's and women's track and field and cross country teams, announced the hiring of Frank Rizzo as an assistant coach to the program on Wednesday. Rizzo joins the Cyclones after five seasons at Syracuse University. He will coach the sprinters and hurdlers.

Rizzo graduated from the University of Pittsburgh in 2009 and became a certified strength and conditioning specialist. 

Before coaching in college, Rizzo coached sprints, jumps and relays at Richland High School in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, where one of his athletes broke the Pennsylvania State Meet record in the triple jump. He also assisted at the NFL combine, where he helped players train during the off season.

At Syracuse, Rizzo led the Syracuse men to a runner-up finish in the 2016 and 2017 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships in the 60-meter hurdles. 

Rizzo also worked in the strength and conditioning department at the University of Memphis in 2011 under current Jacksonville Jaguars head strength and conditioning coach Tom Myslinski.