tennis

Then sophomore Regina Espindola played for Iowa State Tennis on April 23, 2017. Epindola fell to Aliona Bolsova of Oklahoma State.

After a lengthy rain delay, the Iowa State tennis team was unable to come up with a win, losing to the No. 5 Texas, 4-0.

Failing to show up, the Cyclones could not get anything going in singles and doubles play.

During singles, Maty Cancini lost the first set 6-4, the second set 2-0 and the third set went unfinished against Anna Turati. Regina Espindola, at No. 2, also kept it close in the first set, losing 6-3, but then lost 6-2 to Petra Granic.

At No. 3 singles, Ekaterina Repina lost to Bojana Markovic 7-5 in the first set, 3-0 in the second, and the third set went unfinished. At No. 4 singles, Margarita Timakova was dominated by Marta Perez-Mur 6-1, 6-0. 

At No. 5 singles, Annabella Bonadonna played a hard fought match against Fernanda Labrana, losing 6-4, 4-0 and the third set went unfinished. At No. 6, Karen Alvarez failed to help the Cyclones losing against Dani Wagland 6-0, 6-1.

In doubles, the Cyclones could not get anything going as well. In No. 1 duos, Cancini/Espindola were defeated by Granic/Markovic 6-0, 6-1. In No. 2 doubles,  Timakova/Repina faced Labrana/Perez-Mur and tied 3-3 in the first set, but their match ultimately went unfinished. At No. 3, Bonadonna/Alvarez were beaten by Turati/Crovetti 6-0.

Singles:

No. 1: Maty Cancini faced off against Anna Turati (UT), 6-4, 2-0, the third set went unfinished.

No. 2: Regina Espindola was defeated by Petra Granic (UT), 6-3, 6-2.

No. 3: Ekaterina Repina faced Bojana Markovic (UT), 7-5, 3-0, the third set went unfinished. 

No. 4: Margarita Timakova was defeated by Marta Perez-Mur (UT), 6-1, 6-0.

No. 5: Annabella Bonadonna was defeated by Fernanda Labrana (UT), 6-4, 4-0, the third set went unfinished.

No. 6: Karen Alvarez was defeated by Dani Wagland (TU) 6-0, 6-1.

Doubles:

No. 1: Cancini/Espindola were defeated by Granic/Markovic (UT), 6-2.

No. 2: Timakova/Repina were defeated by Labrana/Perez-Mur (UT), 3-3, unfinished.

No. 3: Bonadonna/Alvarez were defeated by Turati/Crovetti (UT), 6-0.

The next match for the Cyclones will be against the Baylor Bears on Sunday, April 15 at 1 p.m. in Waco, Texas.