IMG_0743.jpg

Sophomore Lachlan Barker Practices May 22 at the ISU Golf Facilities.

Iowa State men's golf started the second round of play at the NCAA Championships in a tie for seventh, firmly in contention for a spot in the final 15. 

After a 14-over-par 302 on Saturday, putting them in a tie for 23rd place. The Cyclones now face an uphill battle to make the final stroke play round. 

Conditions were tough at Karsten Creek on Saturday, and in the afternoon wave, scores got higher as the course dried out in the Oklahoma sun. 

Freshman Frank Lindwall led the Cyclones with a one-over-par 73, and senior Denzel Ieremia finished with a 2-over-par 74.

Sophomore Tripp Kinney finished third on the team with a 5-over-par 77. Kinney was one of four Cyclones to have a double bogey in their rounds. 

IMG_0780.jpg

Member of the Iowa State Golf Team Practices May 22 at the ISU Golf Facilities.

The Cyclones' scores were rounded out by 6-over-par 78s from sophomore Sam Vincent and freshman Lachlan Barker. 

Iowa State's 302 was the third-highest team score of the day, in front of Northwestern (308) and North Carolina State (302). 

The top 15 teams after Sunday's round will advance to a final stroke play round on Monday. Iowa State tees off at 12:55 p.m.