golf

Iowa State's Nattapan Siritrai uses time to get in practice at the Cyclones Golf Performance Center.

After a strong sixth place finish at the UCF Challenge last weekend, the Iowa State women's golf team traveled to Rio Mar Country Club for the Lady Puerto Rico Classic. The course has a low 71 par and many tough opponents will be facing up for a three-day tournament of golf such as Arkansas, TCU and Kent State.

The Cyclones came out strong in the first round, shooting a 296 team total. This puts them in third place for day one behind Arkansas (No. 4 nationally) and Kent State, according to Golfstat.com

Leading Iowa State in round one was junior Chayanit Wangmahaporn who shot a 72, just one stroke over par. This puts her tied for sixth place with Alana Uriell from Arkansas. Following closely behind Wangmahaporn was sophomore Amelia Mehmet Grohn with a 74, who is tied for 14th place with teammate Celia Barquin Arozamena.

The rest of the Iowa State gold squad played great first rounds, scoring in the 70's.

The Cyclones will continue to battle their way to the top in Lady Puerto Rico Classic which will end on Tuesday, Feb. 13.