big 12 track

Freshman Karly Ackley after finishing her run in the second heat of the Women's 3000 M Final at the Big 12 Track and Field Championship at Lied Rec. Center on Feb. 24. Ackley finished in third place with a time of 9:31.82.

Iowa State women’s track and field is in action on opposites of the country this weekend, and Friday night saw standouts in each of the two meets for the Cyclones.

In California at the Stanford Invitational, the highlight of the day was four different Cyclones setting personal records, three of them in the 1,500-meter dash.

Jasmine Staebler finished with the best time of the three, earning second place in Section Two with a time of 4:19.68. Erinn Stenmann-Fahey herself scored a second place finish in Section Four with a time 4:25.17, and Cailie Logue, in her outdoor debut for Iowa State, finished eighth in Section Three at 4:22.57.

big 12 track

Erin Stenman-Fahey runs in the 1000 M at the Big 12 Track and Field Championship at Lied Rec Center on Feb. 24. Stenman-Fahey placed second with a time of 2:46.18

The other PR set on Friday came late in the evening, when Anne Frisbie earned a time of 33:42.53 in the 10,000 meter invitational.  Frisbie's run earned her a 17th place finish in the event.

Going back to the 1500 meter run, Evelyne Guay finished in fifth place with a time of 4:28.71 to give the Cyclones a second top five finish in Section Four.

Larkin Chapman, meanwhile, also finished fifth in Section Five with a time of 4:27.45, while Gwynne Wright notched another top 10 finish by taking eighth in Section Six with a time of 4:29.78.

big 12 track

Senior Evelyne Guay runs in the Women's Mile Finals during the Big 12 Track and Field Championship at Lied Rec Center on Feb. 24. Guy finished in fourth place with a time of 4:56.71.

The Cyclones also got solid performances in the 5,000 meter run, where Amanda Vestri and Karly Ackley earned third and ninth place finishes, respectively, in Section Three with times of 16:22.88 and 16:40.37.

Finally, in the 3,000 meter steeplechase, Kelly Naumann finished with a time of 10:21.93 to take fourth place in Section Two of the event.

Over in Florida at the Florida Relays, the Cyclones actually got things started on Thursday night with the 200 meter dash and the 400 meter open hurdles.

In the 200 meter, Tasha Frazier finished with a time of 26.36 seconds, while Emma Whigham won heat three and took 11th place overall in the 400 meter open hurdle at 1:01.97.

This was an improvement over Whigham’s time at the Tulsa Duels, where she finished with a time of 1:04.02. Whigham and Frazier also competed on Friday afternoon, with Whigham finishing the 400 meter dash in 56.26 seconds and Frazier finishing the 100 meter hurdles in 14.24 seconds.

In the long jump, Jhoanmy Luque gave the Cyclones their best finish in any event in Florida. Luque earned second place with a jump of 20-5 in her first outdoor meet of the season, finishing only behind a 20-11.75 jump from Florida’s Darrielle McQueen.

big 12 track

Then freshman Amanda Vestri runs in the second heat go the Women's 3000 M Final at the Big 12 Track and Field Championship at Lied Rec. Center on Feb. 24, 2018. Vestri finished the NCAA Championships in 14th place which earned her Second Team All-American status.

Finally, the Cyclones got a top ten finish in the hammer throw from Christabel Okeke, who finished sixth with a throw of 180-1. Also throwing was Tessa Krempel, who finished in 19th with a distance of 164-5.

Both meets will continue tomorrow morning, with events at the Stanford Invitational starting at 11 a.m. and 8 a.m. at the Florida Relays.