Womens 800 Meter

Sophomore Erinn Stenman-Fahey runs in the womens 800-meter Feb 24. during the Big 12 Track and Field meet. Stenman-Fahey came in fifth with a time of 2:08.40. 

The first day of the Larry Wieczorek Invitational was straight business for the Cyclone women with Iowa State’s top two women athletes leading the way. Jasmine Staebler won the 1,000-meter run, putting up one of the top times in Cyclone history. Jhoanmy Luque leapt herself to the lead with a strong start to her final season with a win in the long jump.

Erinn Stenman-Fahey and Evelyne Guay along with Staebler, the Cyclones dominated the women's 1,000-meter run, with the three controlling the entire event. Staebler pulled away at the end and crossed the finish line at 2:46.04, which was the second-best time in Cyclone history. Stenman-Fahey moved up to ninth in Iowa State history with her second-place time of 2:49.85 and Guay finished third with a time of 2:50.78.

It was a business trip for Luque as she showed why she was the Iowa State Female Athlete of the Year last season. The senior leader and eight-time All-American for the Cyclones recorded her winning jump on her first effort of 20-4 ¼ (6.20m).

Day two was full of personal records by the Cyclones, with Essence Henderson getting 50-7 ¼ which is seventh in Iowa State history.

The Cyclones' distance crew continued their early season grind in the Jerry Hassard Mile, with the Iowa State women taking six of the top nine spots. Staebler continued on her tremendous first day by leading the pack with a 4:49.09 to take second. The women also got spots three, four and five with Stenman-Fahey (4:49.63), Anne Frisbie (4:50.77) and Guay rounding it out (4:51.33).

The second-year standout Aleenah Marcucci impressed many in the women's 60-meter hurdles. Marcucci was strong, notching a 8.61 which was another personal best for the team. In the final, Marcucci dropped another personal record to finish fourth with a score of 8.53. She began the day out of the Cyclones' top-10 but moved up to fourth all-time.

Iowa State women fell to eighth in the invitational but overall it was a solid personal record weekend which was a “knock the dust off” weekend for the women, according to coach Andrea Grove-McDonough. Next up for the team is the Razorback Invitational next Friday and Saturday in Fayetteville, Arkansas.