The Iowa State women’s tennis team finished the first day 1-2 during doubles and 4-3 during singles play at the first day of the Jon Messick Invitational.

Top doubles pair Maty Cancini/Ekaterina Repina were defeated 6-3 versus Bandarenko/Chemodanova from South Dakota.

No. 2 doubles pair Margarita Timakova/Annabella Bonadonna were defeated 6-2 against Challa/Tkachenko from Wyoming.

The only doubles pair to pick up a win on the day was No. 3 pair Erin Freeman/Regina Espindola, who defeated Battersby/Doherty from Northern Colorado 6-2.

Coach Armando Espinosa noted that doubles pairing changes could occur after the first day.

Top singles player Cancini lost 2-6, 7-6, 7, 6-1 to Emily Luetschwager from Colorado State.

tennis vs oklahoma

Maty Cancini prepares to serve. Sami Budai and Cancini played no. 1 doubles against Oklahoma on April 21 at Forker Tennis Courts. No. 1 doubles went on to win 6-2, and was the sole winning doubles team for Iowa State.

Operating out of the No. 2 singles spot, Espindola lost her match 6-0, 6-3 against Priscilla Palermo, also from Colorado State.

Freeman, who played in the No. 3 singles slot, lost Tristen Bryant-Otake of Northern Colorado 6-0, 7-6.

Repina picked up a much needed win against Rafa Mora of Northern Colorado in the No. 4 spot finishing with a score of 3-6, 7-6, 7-6.

Timakova won against Carrigan Blanchard of Northern Colorado 6-2, 6-2 playing in the No. 5 singles spot.

Bonadonna, in the No. 6 spot, beat Mana Koitabashi from Northern Colorado 6-3, 6-0.

Karen Alvarez played in the No. 7 spot and won 6-2, 6-1 against Elisabeth Walsh of Northern Colorado.

The Invitational continues play at 10 a.m. Saturday. Each pair will participate in a round of doubles and each player will also participate in a single round barring illness or injury.