IMG_0763.jpg

Member of the Iowa State Golf Team Practices May 22 at the ISU Golf Facilities.

After a rain-delayed first round, Iowa State men's golf finds itself in a solid position with two rounds to play in the first stage of the NCAA Championships.

The Cyclones finished as a team with a 2-over-par 290, led by a 3-under-par 69 from freshman Lachlan Barker. Barker sits in a tie for ninth on the individual leaderboard. 

IMG_0805.jpg

Tripp Kinney of the Iowa State golf team practices May 22, 2018, at the ISU Golf Facilities.

Senior Denzel Ieremia finished with a one-over-par 73. Ieremia had four birdies and five bogeys on the day. 

Rounding out the scoring for the Cyclones was a trio of 2-over-par 74s from sophomores Tripp Kinney and Sam Vincent and freshman Frank Lindwall. 

The Cyclones played in the first wave of 15 teams, and the weather was not in their favor from the jump. 

Storms rolled into Stillwater, Oklahoma, Friday morning, delaying play until after 12 p.m. The Cyclones finished their round in third place among the first 15 teams. 

The top 15 teams after three rounds of stroke play will play a fourth round on Monday, where the individual champion will be decided. From there, the top eight teams will compete on Tuesday and Wednesday in rounds of match play to determine the team champions. 

Iowa State tees off in second round play starting at 3:10 p.m.