IMG_0145.jpg

Iowa State quarterback Brock Purdy runs around a Texas Tech defender during the 2018 season.

After attending the Alamo Bowl last season, Iowa State returns coach Matt Campbell and several players, many of whom have been named to award watchlists.

Aside from Campbell, sophomore Brock Purdy, senior Ray Lima, senior Marcel Spears Jr., junior Jaquan Bailey, senior Greg Eisworth, junior Colin Newell and senior Charlie Kolar have all been named to award watchlists.

Matt Campbell

IMG_2568.jpg

Iowa State Coach Matt Campbell yells at the ref during the first half of the Valero Alamo Bowl Game Dec 28, 2018. 

Campbell was named to the Dodd Trophy watchlist, which is an award given to a coach who displays scholarship, leadership and integrity.

Iowa State went 8-5 last season and made a bowl game for the second straight year. After falling one game short of the Big 12 Championship game last year, Iowa State is predicted to finish third in the conference behind Oklahoma and Texas in 2019.

Along with Campbell, 29 other coaches were named to the watchlist including Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz, Texas’ Tom Herman, Oklahoma’s Lincoln Riley and Alabama’s Nick Saben.

Brock Purdy

IMG_2625.jpg

Freshman quarterback Brock Purdy throws the ball before being tackled during the second half of the Valero Alamo Bowl Dec. 29, 2018. The Cyclones were defeated 26 to 28.

After breaking out and leading Iowa State to a 6-2 record as a starter, Purdy is on the watchlist for the Davey O’Brien Award, which is given to the best quarterback, and the Maxwell Award, which is given to the best overall player in the country.

Purdy is one of 30 players named to the O’Brien Award, including Alan Bowman from Texas Tech, Charlie Brewer from Baylor, Sam Ehlinger from Texas and Nate Stanley from Iowa. The last two winners of the award were Oklahoma quarterbacks Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield.

The winner for the Maxwell Award last season was Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa.

Ray Lima

isu vs uni fb-18.jpg

Iowa State's Ray Lima was named to the 2019 Preseason All-Big 12 Team.

From the defensive tackle position, Lima recorded 34 tackles and 3.5 tackles for loss last season and has been named to several award watchlists.

Lima was one of 83 players named to the Outland Trophy watchlist, which is given to the nation's top interior lineman. Some of the players who have won the award include Nkdamakung Suh, Aaron Donald, Brandin Scherff and last year's winner Quinnen Williams.

Lima was also added to the watchlist for the Nagurski Trophy—an award for the country’s top defensive player—as well as the Wuerffel Trophy and Lott IMPACT Trophy.

The Wuerffel Trophy is given to a player who "best combines exemplary community service with athletic and academic achievement” according to the award's webpage.

The Lott IMPACT Trophy is for a defensive player; IMPACT stands for integrity, maturity, performance, academics, community and tenacity. Lima is also up for the AFCA Good Works Team, which promotes volunteerism and positive impact off the field for its awardees.

Marcel Spears Jr.

IMG_0515.jpg

Iowa State junior Marcel Spears runs the ball back after grabbing an interception. Spears scored on the play.

Like Lima, Spears is on the watchlist for the Nagurski Trophy for the top defensive player in the country. As a starting for Iowa State last year, Spears registered 69 tackles, eight tackles for loss and two interceptions.

The Iowa State players on the watchlist are amongst 92 players named. In the last five years, the winner has consistently been a linebacker or defensive end.

JaQuan Bailey

IMG_9159.jpg

Defensive End JaQuan Bailey goes for a sack on West Virginia's Will Grier. Iowa State defeated West Virginia 30-14 on Oct. 13, 2018.

Bailey is the third Iowa State player on the Nagurski watchlist—Iowa State is tied for second for the most players on the list with LSU, Notre Dame and Penn State. Alabama is first with four players.

Bailey, a defensive end, completed 46 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss and eight sacks last season. He is also on the Bednarik watchlist for the best defensive player.

Greg Eisworth

IMG_0051.jpg

Defensive back Greg Eisworth attempts an interception during the first half of the Iowa State vs Baylor football game Nov. 10, 2018.

Eisworth, who was the Big 12 Newcomer of the Year last season, is on the Jim Thorpe Award watchlist.

The Jim Thorpe trophy is for the top defensive back in the country and has been given to the likes of Minkah Fitzpatrick from Alabama, Desmond King from Iowa and Patrick Peterson from LSU.

As Iowa State’s leading tackler last season, Eisworth completed 87 tackles, an interception and five pass breakups.

Colin Newell

footballcamp2.JPG

Colin Newell and the offensive line take up position on the Johnny Major Practice field on Aug. 3, 2018 during the first day of fall football camp.

Newell was Iowa State’s starter last season for 12 games at center and has been named to the Rimington Trohpy watchlist for the best player in his position.

Charlie Kolar

football2

Iowa State tight end, Charlie Kolar, attempts to block a South Dakota State player during the opening game at Jack Trice Stadium on Sept. 1, 2018.

Kolar caught 11 passes for 137 yards and three touchdowns last season and has been named to the John Mackey Award watchlist for the nation's top tight end.

Iowa’s T.J. Hockenson won last year, and other notable winners include Jake Butt from Michigan and Mark Andrews from Oklahoma.