baseball program anniversary5.jpg

Thanks to a go-ahead home run in the eighth inning by Jeremy Roehrick, the Iowa State club baseball team is on its way to the National Club Baseball Association (NCBA) World Series.

Iowa State defeated Missouri twice on Sunday, 10-9 and 6-5, to win the NCBA Mid-American Regional and earn its first bid to the NCBA World Series since 2015.

IMG_1902.jpg

Iowa State baseball team taking on the Hawkeyes despite the rainy weather. 

After losing its first game to Missouri, the Cyclones won four straight in the double-elimination tournament.

The team was tasked with defeating Nebraska and top-ten ranked Colorado State on Saturday for the opportunity to face Missouri on Sunday.

Once they got to Sunday, Iowa State needed to win both games to earn a spot in the national tournament. They did just that.

After going down 4-0 in the first game, the Cyclones plated eight unanswered runs to go up 8-4.

Missouri would come back to tie the game at nine, but Nick Barclay earned a go-ahead hit in the ninth inning to give Iowa State a victory.

Cap Timm Classic 14

Members of the Iowa State Club Baseball team shake hands with the opposing team after game five of the Cap Timm Classic Sept. 17. Iowa State Defeated North Dakota 7-2.

In game two, the Cyclones went down 5-3 to the Tigers, but Anthony Sufficool plated two runs with a triple to tie things up.

Roehrick came on in the bottom of the eighth inning to put a solo home run over the fence, giving the Cyclones the lead and eventual tournament championship.

Iowa State will participate in the NCBA World Series from May 25 to May 31 in Holly Springs, N.C.