+2 
IMG_0598.jpg

Iowa State Redshirt Junior Danny Bush Pins Parker VonEgidy during the Iowa State vs West Virginia wrestling meet Jan. 21. The Cyclones Defeated West Virginia 25-16.

Editor’s note: This is part eight of a 10-part series breaking down the Iowa State wrestling roster weight-by-weight. While athletes switching to different weights is inevitable, for the sake of simplicity and consistency, this series will base the weights off of past weights.

Iowa State leaned on Dane Pestano at 184-pounds last season. Pestano finished his senior season with a 10-7 dual record, but this season the Cyclones will plug in a new athlete.

The 184-pound depth has a handful of young athletes and redshirt senior Danny Bush.

Danny Bush

Bush had an up-and-down year in his first season at Iowa State. Bush began the season at 184, but Pestano locked down the job and Bush cut down to assist the 174-pound weight.

In duals, Bush went 3-7 (all at 174-pounds), and he finished 17-17 overall.

Bush swung the score positively and negatively for Iowa State in duals. His first dual win came against Oregon State’s Myles Terry with a pin. His second dual win was also a pin over West Virginia’s Parker Von Egidy.

While he finished with a losing record in duals, Bush limited the damage. Of his seven losses, one was a pin, one was a major decision and five were decisions.

+2 
wrestlingCyHawk-6811.jpg

Iowa State's Danny Bush gets picked up by Iowa's Joey Gunther in the 174-pound CyHawk battle. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cyclones 35-6. 

Bush should be in the mix at 184-pounds and potentially 174-pounds again.

Samuel Colbray

While this series tries to base projections off of last season’s weigh-ins, Colbray will likely have an opportunity at 184-pounds.

With no clear-cut option at 184 and Willie Miklus’ arrival at 197, Colbray could transition to 184. At the U23 World Team Trials, Colbray wrestled at 86-kg (about 189-pounds), and with the rest of the summer to trim down, shifting to 184 is realistic.

+2 
ISU vs Rider Wrestling (17).jpg

Redshirt Freshman Samuel Colbray defeats Ethan Laird Nov. 26 in Stephens Auditorium during the Iowa State vs Rider wrestling meet. The Cyclones were defeated 15-22. 

At 197 last season, Colbray finished 16-13 with an 8-6 dual record. If Colbray ends up at 184, he’ll be the top option there for Iowa State.

Alec McDowell

McDowell finished his redshirt season with a 12-5 record. McDowell won the Willie Myers Open, finished second at the Cyclone Open and finished third at the Sioux City Dave Edmonds Open.

If Colbray doesn’t go to 184, McDowell will likely back up Bush. If Colbray does go to 184, McDowell will likely see most his action in tournaments.

Joel Shapiro

Shapiro capped off his high school career at Valley High School with a 3A 182-pound state title over Brandon Tessau.

Since Iowa State has solid depth at 184, Shapiro will likely be a candadite to use his redshirt in his first season in Ames.

Looking down the road, Shapiro will be in the mix for the starting 184-pound or 197-pound spot.

Anthony Sherry

Another Iowan, Sherry, finished third at the state tournament after losing to Shapiro in the frontside of the bracket.

Sherry is in the same boat as Shapiro and will likely redshirt.

Logan Schumaker

Schumaker also stamped his high school career with a 182-pound state title in the 1A bracket. Schumaker will likely join Sherry and Shapiro in developing in his initial season.

Brandon Tessau

Tessau — the 182-pound runner-up at the state tournament — will likely redshirt as well. The Shapiro, Sherry, Schumaker and Tessau quartet likely won’t make an impact in their first seasons, but they are Iowa State’s future at the upperweights.