No. 15 Iowa State defeats West Virginia

Senior DeAndre Kane is all smiles after Iowa State defeated West Virginia on Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2014. The No. 15 Cyclones defeated the Mountaineers 83-66. The first time ISU and WVU met in the season, West Virginia won 102-77.

The Lowdown

Just like he did in Stillwater, Okla., Naz Long did the same at Hilton Coliseum on Saturday when Naz Long rose up and splashed a 30-foot triple to tie the game at the buzzer, tying the game at 71. 

Iowa State went into overtime and escaped with a victory on Senior Day where Melvin Ejim fouled out before the end of regulation and Georges Niang fouled out in overtime, winning 85-81.

In the overtime period, Kane scored seven of the 14 points, including crucial free throws to seal the game. 

Turning Point

With Iowa State trailing 79-78 with 25 seconds left, Deandre Kane's layup gave the Cyclones their final lead of the game at 80-79. From there, the foul or defend sequences were executed and Iowa State held on for the win.  

X Factor

Deandre Kane — On his Senior Day, Kane carried the load after Melvin Ejim and Georges Niang both fouled out. He finished with 27 points on 8-of-13 shooting with 10-of-14 from the free throw line and eight assists and seven rebounds.

By The Numbers

2,000 — Deandre Kane surpassed the 2,000 career point mark late in the game. 

1,500, 1,000 — Melvin Ejim now has 1,500 points in his career and 1,000 rebounds. 

2 — This is the second time Naz Long has made a game-tying triple late in a game against Oklahoma State.

5 — The number of fouls Georges Niang and Melvin Ejim accumulated before the end of the game. Iowa State finished the overtime period with both on the bench. 

10-14 — Kane made 10 of 14 free throws. He's a 62-percent career shooter. 

Sue Griffith

Niang did foul out, but not until the 3:04 mark in OT.

Sue Griffith

Congrats on the win Cyclones!