iowa state classic-21.jpg

Iowa State senior Tessa Krempel competes in the women's weight throw during the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 9, 2018.

Only four Iowa State women’s track and field athletes made the trip Thursday to Iowa City, Iowa, for the Musco Twilight.

However, they all made the trip count.

Freshmen Essence Henderson and Keiara Williams, along with seniors Christabel Okeke and Tessa Krempel, each earned top 10 finishes in their respective events on Thursday. Three of them, Henderson, Okeke and Krempel, also set new personal records in the process.

In addition to setting a personal record in the shot put for the second week in a row, Henderson also took home first place in once again in the event. Henderson’s best throw of the day was a 51-foot-7 ¼ throw that now ranks as fifth best in Iowa State history.

Additionally, Henderson also took third place in the discus with a throw of 154 feet.

iowa state classic-23.jpg

Iowa State senior Christabel Okeke competes in the women's weight throw during the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 9, 2018.

Also in the shot put, Williams earned fourth place with a best throw of 45-feet-9 ¾. The throw and finish were both improvements for Williams from last week’s Sun Angel Classic in Arizona.

For the hammer throwers Okeke and Krempel, each set a personal record and also earned top 10 finishes. Okeke took fourth place with a throw of 187-feet, and Krempel took eighth place with a 175-foot-5 throw.

With the meet only lasting one day, the Cyclones track and field team won’t be back in action until next week. As of now, Iowa State is scheduled to compete in three different locations across the state of California over the course of three days, starting with the Mt. Sac relays on Thursday, April 19.

The Cyclones are also scheduled to compete in the Bryan Clay Invitation in Azusa, California, and the Cardinal Classic in Palo Alto, California, starting on Friday, April 20. All three meets will last until Saturday, April 21.