Know the policy at your rental property before moving your pet in

Photo: Shiyao Liu/Iowa State Daily

Eric Anderson, junior in chemistry, plays with his puppy, Gabby, in front of Curtiss Hall Tuesday, Nov. 9, 2010. He always takes a walk with his dog when the weather is nice. Photo: Shiyao Liu/Iowa State Daily

Kaitlin Miner

College marks many students’ first experience of living on their own. Apartments are the sites of many of their first forays into independent living. If they want pets to accompany them on this journey, they usually have to heed a few rules. Below are some ways to learn what those rules are and how to abide by them.

Find out whether your property management company allows pets

Some property owners have strict policies forbidding pets, while others welcome them. Some vary their policies from one building to the next.

Some places will advertise their policies, but most will ask you to list any pets you own on lease forms. These forms generally outline the pet policy for your apartment.

Different property managements have different policies, so knowing what you are agreeing to is important

Mike Meehl, sale manager for The Grove Apartments said The Grove offers pet-friendly apartments. Cats and non-aggressive breeds of dogs that weigh less than 50 pounds are allowed. Any other pets are subject to the approval of the general manager before being allowed to live in an apartment.

When signing a lease with The Grove Apartments, residents are told they must make The Grove aware of any pets they have. If they bring a pet or buy a pet, they must inform The Grove of its presence, and accept the fees that pet owners incur. 

Some property managers require certain vaccinations and other treatments for pets before they’re allowed to live in apartments.

Gary Hunziker, owner of Hunziker Property Management, said that different Hunziker apartment buildings have different policies for pets. For instance, some allow cats, others allow dogs and a few are completely pet-free. Most that allow cats and dogs allow caged animals, as long as the latter are reasonably sized.

Dogs have a size limit of 35 pounds, and all pets must be reported and approved by managers. Pets are also required to have vaccinations. The vaccinations and other necessary preparations are outlined in a pet addendum provided to lesees, Hunziker said.

Some property owners only allow pets in satellite properties

Professional Property Management, Inc., allows tenants to keep animals in apartments only if they’re service animals. However, these property managers allow them to keep a broader selection of pets in satellite properties such as duplexes.

Karen Popelka, rental consultant supervisor with Professional Property Management, Inc, explained this policy in detail. Cats and dogs are allowed in these satellite properties, but they must be spayed or neutered. To keep them in such properties, their owners must have proof of inoculation. Cat owners must remove their pets’ claws. Tenants can only house pets they already own in their rental units; a new pet cannot be bought while a tenant lives in one, Popelka said. Smaller dogs are also preferred. Popelka also explained that residents are asked up front if they have pets, and. If they say yes, property managers request references for and photographs of the pet.

Understand what costs you will incur

The Grove Apartments require a non-refundable pet fee of $250 to cover any additional wear and tear, as well as an additional $30 a month for pet rent, according to Meehl. A one-time fee is commonly required, and a one-time fee of $300 must be paid to have a pet, Hunziker said. Professional Property Management, Inc. charges a time payment equivalent to one month’s rent, but this is subject to change at the request of property owners. (Professional Property Management, Inc. imanages properties for it doesn’t necessarily own.)

The best way to ensure a good experience for yourself and your pet is to know what’s required of you both.

“It’s probably a good idea, wherever you’re at, to talk to your landlord first,” Hunziker said.