march for our lives-11.jpg

Protestors hold up signs during the March For Our Lives protest on March 24, 2018. Over a thousand people attended the event, which was held at the State Capitol Building in Des Moines.

On Saturday, thousands of people gathered all across the nation to join the survivors of the Parkland shooting in fighting for stricter gun laws.

Here are the top eight moments from the marches around the nation:

1. I Have a Dream- Martin Luther King Jr's granddaughter, Yolanda Renee King, payed tribute to her late grandfather’s “I Have a Dream” speech by sharing her own dream.

2. Emma Gonzalez- The Parkland shooting survivor took the stage and stood silently most of her speech that lasted 6 minutes and 30 seconds, the time it took shooter Nikolas Cruz to take 17 lives.

3. Parkland survivors- Students who were injured during the shooting were present at March for Our Lives in D.C., including Samantha Fuentes, who was shot in both legs and received various cuts to the face.

4. The signs- Protesters across the nation put their creativity to the test and made signs to show why they were protesting.

5. "Happy Birthday, Nick"- Parkland survivor Samantha Fuentes lead the crowd in singing Happy Birthday to Parkland victim Nicholas Dworet, who would’ve turned 18 on Saturday.

6. Paul McCartney- The former Beatles member said he was marching in honor of his best friend, John Lennon, who died from gun violence almost 38 years ago.

7. Naomi Walder- 11-year-old Naomi Walder, who led a walkout at her elementary school, took the stage to bring awareness to black females who have been victims of gun violence.

8. Celebrity support- All across social media, various celebrities came together to show support for all those marching and the Never Again Movement.

Information gathered from Twitter, CNN, BuzzFeed News. Checkout the March for Our Lives rally in Des Moines.

Nearly all of these are appeals to emotion, which is to say, fallacious arguments. If you were an educated person, you would not be swayed by such irrational arguments. You should know better.

Some of them are comically fallacious, such as the one that claims the Second Amendment is connected to the Three Fifths Compromise, which held blacks were to be counted as 3/5ths of a person for legislative representation and taxing purposes. This is an anti-slavery measure to defeat the slave states’ attempt to gather more representatives in Congress by counting slaves as citizens while denying them the rights of citizens, which would increase their power in Congress and strengthen the institution of slavery.

Frederick Douglas, a freed slave and leading voice of abolition in the Civil War, said the correct ratio should be zero. Black people who complain about the Three Fifths Compromise don’t understand it, don’t understand black history. When they condemn the Three Fifths Compromise, they are aligning themselves with the pro-slavery states. And, really, blacks should support the right to bear arms. Visitors to Martin Luther King’s home noted that it was an arsenal, with guns everywhere, tucked into chairs and sofas, to defend against racist shooters and bomb throwers.

Connecting the Three Fifths Compromise to the Second Amendment is a non sequitur. One has nothing to do with the other.

While school shootings are bitter to witness, guns are good for America. There are two million gun defenses in America, 90% of which involve no shots fired but simply brandishing a gun in a confrontation with a criminal, who then flees. If there were no guns and one third of one percent of those two million confrontations escalated to homicides, that would double the current number of gun homicides. Legal guns in the hands of citizens stops that from happening. If you are against gun murders, you should support the right to bear arms in the face of murderers.

Anti-gun people don’t consider the people saved by guns every year, which makes their position unbalanced and in error. Consequently, reasonable people should reject the anti-gun protests and preserve the role of guns to defend ourselves.