Medical vaccine

Close up of doctor's hands vaccinating child.

Now that measles have hit Iowa for the first time since 2011, it is not the time to prevent your kids from getting the protection they need. There also is 550 known cases in the US between the months of January and April.

Now while you, of course, have the right to raise your kids in whatever manner you wish, disease is something you can prevent your child from going through.

Measles is a very contagious disease that spreads via coughs and sneezes and can last up to two hours in the air. An article from the Des Moines Register states that, “Symptoms of measles include fever, cough, runny nose, watery eyes and a red rash that starts on the face and moves to the rest of body. The feaver usually develops seven to 18 days after the infection and the rash approximately two weeks after the infection. Symptoms can last up to two weeks.”

In Iowa, there are two known patients that have measles. However, one of the patients traveled to two different restaurants during the time they were infected. They went to:

• “Hardee's, 3621 Merle Hay Road in Des Moines, between 8:15  and 11:45 a.m. April 13, and

• Panera Bread, 2310 Southeast Delaware Ave. in Ankeny, between noon and 4 p.m. April 16.”

Saying this, for those of you that have been vaccinated and have vaccinated your children, you should be covered.

An article from LiveScience states, “... Two doses of the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine — which are given as part of the standard U.S. childhood vaccination schedule — are 97 percent effective at preventing measles, according to the CDC. This means that about 3 percent of people who receive two doses of the measles vaccine will get measles if they are exposed to the virus.” As for those who don’t get vaccinated, 9 out of 10 people who are exposed to the virus will be infected.

It is impossible for anyone to predict the future. Why not do everything in your power to protect yourself and your children from things that might happen. Measles spent so long away from Iowa, but now that its back, those children who weren't vaccinated have a very high chance of catching and spreading it.

Being Antivax is a choice you have made for yourself and/or your children. These choices are yours to make, but also the consequences of your choices can affect more than just you and your family. Vaccinations were made and gained traction because they work. Vaccinations prevent the spread of disease and greatly reduce the percentage of those who get the vaccination from being effected.