AlexGHeadshot.jpg

2019-2020 Managing Editor of Digital Content Alexander Gray.

It's senior year. With the end so close in sight, a lot of students in my position are coasting through the easiest classes they can. Most have probably completed their major; the only thing holding them back from crossing the stage are those final 30 (or fewer) credits.

There's nothing wrong with that at all. They’ve already tackled near-insurmountable capstone projects and conquered cumulative final exams. They’ve been through hell and back and deserve a break.

But here I am, working the equivalent of a full-time job at the Iowa State Daily on top of already taking a full course-load and working at ISU Dining. Why? Do I hate free time? Is there nothing else I can do with my life?

I have gotten the most valuable work and personal experiences of my entire life working at the Daily. None of the papers, homework assignments or tests in my journalism and public relations courses have prepared me to enter the “real world” like the challenges I’ve faced actually working in journalism.

The Daily sparked a passion in me I never knew I could have. Since starting as a reporter in my freshman year, I’ve grown both as a professional and as a person, thanks to the help of my peers and mentors.

I love the people I work with; every night I get to spend hours with some of my best friends. My life has changed forever because of this job and I can only hope to help lead others to the same.