Multiethnic group of people

Letter writer and Iowa State graduate student Jorge Luis Galvez Vallejo believes it is important for international students to bring diversity to America, which they can do through sharing their different views, backgrounds and cultures. 

International students in any foreign country possess a burden few would like — having to care about politics in two countries.

Following the entire news cycle that revolves around a country is extremely tiring and, because the politics in the new country they’re in impacts their immediate reality, they are forced into caring about the political system of the new country.

Students come to the United States from all over the world to educate themselves; some would like to stay here and build a life following the historical idea of the “American Dream,” while others want to eventually go back and use the knowledge they’ve acquired here to help bring a portion of it to their homeland.

Both share one common denominator — they do not have a say in the politics of the United States. So, what role should international students play while they are living here in pursue of their dream? Each student brings in their political views, their idea of how things should work in a country.

Most of these ideas come from experience, they have seen a policy been implemented in their country and saw it benefit or hinder the development of their country. This is experience that the nationals do not have; they can only talk about their own country.

I consider that the main role any international student in the United States has is to talk about their home, tell the American people how are things back home, discuss the ideas that keep their country afloat and have inspired them to keep pushing forward.

Through the experience and the knowledge they have brought, the American people can benefit, they will be able to make a more informed decision and through this, theoretically, a further betterment of society should follow.

Through diversity comes a multitude of ideas, of opinions; from these comes discussion, and through discussion there is knowledge. A simple story can change one person’s mind, and only a spark is needed to start a fire.

Lance Johnson

Nice incite Jorge because being an international student away from home IS difficult, compounded by our complex culture and language problems. Welcoming and assimilation assistance must come from numerous sources, including the White House, to aid these young people embarking on life’s journey.

Most struggle in their efforts and need guidance from schools’ international departments, immigration protection, host families, concerned neighbors and fellow students, and even informative books to extend a cultural helping hand.

Something that might help anyone coming to the US is the award-winning worldwide book/ebook "What Foreigners Need To Know About America From A To Z: How to Understand Crazy American Culture, People, Government, Business, Language and More.”

Used in foreign Fulbright student programs and endorsed worldwide by ambassadors, educators, and editors, it identifies how “foreigners” have become successful in the US, including students.

It explains how to cope with a confusing new culture and friendship process, and daunting classroom differences. It explains how US businesses operate and how to get a job (which differs from most countries), a must for those who want to work with/for an American firm here or overseas.

It also identifies the most common English grammar and speech problems foreigners have and tips for easily overcoming them, the number one stumbling block they say they have to succeeding here.

Good luck to all at Iowa State or wherever you study or wherever you come from, because that is the TRUE spirit of the American PEOPLE, not a few in government who shout the loudest! Supporters of int’l students must shout louder.