FloodPhoto

Two thirds of the city of Hamburg is underwater from flooding on the Missouri River on Monday, March 18, 2019, on the western edge of Iowa. 

Recently I was thinking about the rather incredible amount of snowfall we had this winter followed by the destructive flooding that left so much of the farmable land in parts of the state devastated, and it made me realize that Iowa will be, for better or for worse, on the frontline in the war against climate change.

We do not have a choice in this matter. Iowa must become a leader, and one way we could begin is by looking how we can preserve our food supply by ensuring the shrinking bee population is stabilized. We can do so by pressuring our leaders in Des Moines, as well as Gov. Kim Reynolds, to work on looking to ban neonicotinoids pesticides. These are not only incredibly harmful to the dwindling bee population, but we also are now finding that they are dangerous to humans and other mammals.

We are out of time. The damage from climate change is here, and we must take action to prevent not only the visible damage already done, but the damage that will come to be from these harmful pesticides. Iowa can be a leader and join other states in banning these pesticides.

The snowfall this year is within the historic norms. There were equally big snowfalls in the past and there will be big snowfalls in the future. Likewise, the Mississippi and its tributaries have flooded ever since it formed after the ice sheet retreated at the end of the last ice age. Humans do not drive the world’s climate. We are insignificant to the Earth.

It is a wild leap of logic to blame nonexistent anthropogenic global warming on a nonexistent link to neonicotinoids pesticides. It is a leap of logic to blame a dwindling bee population on neonicotinoids, particularly when bee colony collapses have been observed for the last century and a half, long before neonicotinoids were invented. It is a leap of logic to blame missing bees for climate change.

Every argument for climate change is based on fallacious reasoning such as this, which is why intelligent people should reject anthropogenic climate change as nonsense. We should laugh at these hucksters’ demands to hand over trillions of bucks and vast unaccountable political power to “fix” this imaginary crisis.