Veishea Parade

Students of the ISU Chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws march at the Veishea parade on April 20, 2013.

Senate File 506 — the medical marijuana bill currently making its way through the Iowa Legislature — would expand the current range of conditions treatable by medical marijuana from epilepsy, the only condition that marijuana is currently authorized to use as treatment, to a wide range of physical and mental illnesses including cancer, post-traumatic stress disorder, HIV/AIDS and Parkinson’s disease. It would also allow the sale of marijuana in the state for those with a cannabis registration card and reclassify marijuana in the state to recognize its medical uses.

While the Iowa Senate easily passed the bill 45-5 on Monday night, the Iowa House appears unlikely to have adequate Republican support to do the same. For people living with the aforementioned conditions (as well as with the many more conditions not listed) whom traditional medicines have not helped, this Iowa House must reconsider and change course to work to pass this bill.

Iowa’s current law, which has been in place since 2014, is CBD-specific — meaning only a certain type of cannabis oil is allowed — and only covers epilepsy so severe that other medications have not been able to control it. Additionally, restrictions in place make it essentially illegal to actually obtain cannabis oil, as there are no places in Iowa to legally purchase or grow it. Even more, this law is set to expire in July, with nothing currently in place to replace it. All of these factors create unnecessary roadblocks to accessing care for a population consisting of many young children who could benefit from medical marijuana.

The National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, or NORML, an organization dedicated to shifting public opinion toward a pro-marijuana legalization stance, provides links on its website to several peer-reviewed studies showing how medical marijuana can treat the conditions covered in the new bill. Highlights include marijuana being used to treat nausea for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, both motor and non-motor symptoms in those with Parkinson’s disease, lessening the severity of post-traumatic stress and increased appetite in people with cancer or HIV.

And while, like any drug, the effects of marijuana vary from person to person and illness to illness, denying that certain health benefits exist only hurts patients who should be allowed to access them.

Twenty-nine states have recognized the necessity to broadly legalize medical marijuana use in some form (including the eight states, as well as Washington, D.C., that have legalized it recreationally). Most recently, West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice signed a medical marijuana bill into law Wednesday after its passage by the state’s Republican-controlled Legislature. This should serve as an indication that even Iowa has the ability (and, perhaps, the support) to pass a bill that can help thousands of Iowans.

Methinks that the moment medical marijuana is legalized, an epidemic of epilepsy will sweep through the Daily offices.

Sonia Fisher

My grandma had Parkinson's disease, she is about 80 years old it was detected 7 years ago. Right now it's getting more difficult to live for her, because of stiff muscles she can't even move. L-dopa and carbidopa medicines are given, but won"t give much relief. She can"t eat food and the skin is damaging forming ganglia. This is may be the last stage of disease.. nothing was really working to help her condition. Finally she started on parkinson's herbal formula i purchased from Health Herbal Clinic, i read alot of positive reviews from other patients who used the parkinson's herbal treatment. she used the herbal remedy for 7 weeks, its effects on parkinson's is amazing, all her symptoms gradually faded away, she feed very more freely by herself now! (Visit www. healthherbalclinic. weebly. com or email at healthherbalclinic@ gmail. com) I recommend this parkinson's herbal formula for all Parkinson's Patients.

Donnie Christopher

My husband is 80 years and has been suffering from PD for the past 15 years. Lately he started hallucinating and I didn't know how to handle the situation. He cannot sleep and tried to find and catch the imaginary people who he thinks are real. he was taken Entacapone with Levodopa, Carbidopa, and Pramipexole and started physical therapy to strengthen muscles. nothing was really working to help his condition.I took him off the Siferol (with the doctor’s knowledge) and started him on parkinson’s herbal formula i ordered from Health Herbal Clinic, his symptoms totally declined over a 5 weeks use of the Parkinsons disease natural herbal formula.i read reviews from other previous patients who used the herbal formula, my husband is now active, he can now go about daily exercise!! his symptoms so much reduced that now I hardly notice them.Visit there website www. healthherbalclinicc. weebly. com or email Info@ healthherbalclinic. net

Karol Thomas

Hello my name is Thomas Karol , my husband was suffering from liver cancer, and the doctor's told me that there is nothing they could do to save my beloved husband life. Then a friend told me about hemp oil , i told her that my husband liver cancer was in the last stage that i don’t think the hemp oil will be able to help, and she persuaded me to try, for the love of my husband, i decided to give it a try. I did some research and i found a doctor who helped me with the cannabis oil to cure my husband liver cancer and he assured me that after 3 months the liver cancer will be gone, and For the past one year my husband is perfectly okay and he is free from cancer, if you know any one who is suffering from cancer you can save his/her life by contacting Dr. Brown Nelson via his email : (brownnelson07@aol.com) it worked exactly as the doctor prescribed. Thanks to Dr. Brown Nelson for taking away sorrow in my life. God will bless Dr. Brown Nelson for helping me with cannabis oil and for his support and care. contact: (dr.brownnelson07@gmail.com), his lives in INDIA i will keep on help you to fight cancer in the World, all i have to say is THANK YOU LORD.

Yasmin Jenkins

ISD Editorial Board thanks for the good and well shared post over here and also about the cbd-explorer. I completely agree indeed, Medical marijuana bill deserves support. They need more and more support.

Amanda Baird

I think it's about time people started realizing the huge social and economical benefits of legalizing medicinal marijuana. I think there's a great market for marijuana-derived products, such as lotions, incense or perfumes. I've learned the importance of herbal supplements for weight loss and stress relief, and I hope the feds won't ever try to ban marijuana.