Ilhan Omar

Representatives Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley and Rashida Tlaib have been making national headlines since they were inaugurated earlier this year, and President Donald Trump has not been shy about his disdain for the freshman congresswomen.

Trump tweeted Sunday that the group of progressive congresswomen came from “countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world.”

In subsequent tweets, he encouraged them to “go back go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how it is done.”

The president saw immediate backlash from Democratic leaders, resulting in a House resolution to condemn his tweets as “racist comments that have legitimized increased fear and hatred of new Americans and people of color.” The resolution passed largely along party lines — four Republicans voted in favor of condemnation, as did the House’s only independent representative.  

In the days since, Trump has rejected the label of “racist” and continued accusing the four congresswomen of hating America. At a rally on Wednesday, he was met with chants of “send her back,” which the president has claimed he thought he stopped by “speaking very quickly.”

Video footage of the event shows Trump pausing for roughly 13 seconds as the chanting continues and eventually fades. 

All throughout history, people of color have been subjected to the racist narrative of being un-American. If they don’t look like the majority, some will say they are un-American. If they are not complacent, many will say they are un-American. If they use their free speech as granted and protected by the Constitution, they will be told to “leave.”

But where is the patriotism in leaving your community, your country behind because you don’t like what’s happening around you?

For Trump, it does not matter that all four of these women are U.S. citizens. Ocasio-Cortez, Pressley and Tlaib were all born in the U.S., and Omar — who came to the U.S. as a Somali refugee in 1992 — became a citizen in 2000. 

It also seems not to matter that the people of New York, Massachusetts, Michigan and Minnesota deemed these women fit for office at the ballot boxes in November. These women aren’t speaking solely on their own behalf. They ran on messages of change in 2018, and the voters sent them to Capitol Hill to make change. 

Omar, Ocasio-Cortez, Pressley and Tlaib saw injustice in their country, and it led them to public service — to try and make the United States a better place for everyone.

Hans Geiger

Good job. You are doing Trump's work of aligning these blatant socialists/communists with the mainstream Democratic Party. These four women are not "Democrats." They are a part of the "Justice Democrats", a far left group that pushes an openly socialist agenda of open borders, ICE abolition and the Green New Deal. They seek to fracture the mainstream Democratic Party in order to institute socialism through congressional takeover (look up Saikat Chakrabarti and Zack Exley, and Cenk Uyger regarding these plans). These types of uncritical looks at what Trump does are what will get him reelected since the majority of Americans hate socialism, and by extension communism. Please don't make the same mistakes.

Hans, you figured it out. Trump is playing pin the tail on the donkey. Liberals can not help themselves from adamantly supporting their far left comrades. In so doing, they revulse the majority of voters. You liberals are doomed. You’re playing Trump’s game and you can’t stop yourselves because you are unhinged with Trump hate.

Hans Geiger

Wow, okay. Steve. I myself am a moderate liberal and do not support this "Socialist Squad" in the slightest, nor am I "unhinged with Trump hate." My comment was to make light of the fact that the editorial board simply needs to do more research on topics before posting. Trump has already tweeted out that his "racist tweets" did exactly what he wanted them to do. They need to think before they post, instead of just posting. This type of journalistic behaviour is appalling and shows how these institutions care more about clicks than facts. If anything you need to sod off with your unhinged liberal hate, as your rhetoric is they kind of speech that perpetuates political polarization. You must just be some salty boomer that longs for the days of Reagan and can't seem to get his head out of the 80s. Just because you have a BA in psychology doesn't mean you know how all liberals think. Stop painting us with a broad brush and find something more productive to do, like a job (not like your psych degree will help in the internet age). That's what you 50-60 year olds are always saying right?

Hans, my apologies if I seemed to claim you were too liberal. I can see how that would sting. I was talking past you to the greater liberal herd. You are pleading with the lefty editors of the Daily in vain if you want them to do more research, or, really, any research before they write their editorials. I have it on good authority that the editors write whatever their consensus is upon finishing the first bong of the night. And, really, Hans, my contempt from liberals springs from decades of unprovoked hatred from passing liberals. If you call somebody who disagrees with you a racist and a Nazi ten thousand times, I am what results. I regret to inform you I learned next to nothing from my ISU degree in psychology. However, I’ve learned what liberals think from a total immersion in a liberal media and endless long tiresome rants by liberals. Liberals are conformists who toe the politically correct party line. You’re quite right that psychology is no road to wealth, which is why I switched to IT long ago and have profited handsomely from it. My computer vocation allows me the leisure of my avocation of pounding sense into the thick skulls of ISU students, teaching them now what they will inevitably discover to be true twenty years after graduation. It’s very satisfying.

One of the many intellectual defects of liberals is that they believe you can not legitimately disagree with a minority. They believe any disagreement with a minority can only be due to racism. In fact, holding one race to be infallible is, itself, racist. I mean, really, if we conservatives claimed you could not disagree with us because we are white, it would be pretty easy to dismiss us as racist, right? And rightly so. However, white conservatives like me make no such claim because we are sane, not racist, and believe any claim a person makes must stand on its own merits. Their race is irrelevant. The very idea that your race is proof of the truth of your position is the nuttiest kind of racism and one firmly held by liberals in general, particularly the liberal media, and the lefty loony editors of the Daily, most of all, who believe that the melanin of a person decides the veracity of their claims. What racist idiots.

The “Squad” of Representatives Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley and Rashida Tlaib have been trash-talking America and President Trump ever since they were elected. It is only fair play for Trump to reciprocate. It is pretty dishonest for the “Squad” to complain Trump is singling them out for their race when they have been singling him out all along for their slander. They want to dish criticism out but they can’t stand criticism being dished back out to them, the cowardly, racist hypocrites. And, really, if you apply their racist logic to their own position, what minorities have they singled out for their abuse? They only slander the big, white guy and white America. By their own definition, they are being racist. And liberals give them a pass on that because being racist to whites is okay with them, even justified. It is a racial double standard which you should reject.