Bernie Rally 4.jpg

Columnist Olivia Rasmussen believes Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders is making a strong effort to address the climate crisis with his policies. Rasmussen believes Sanders' Climate Crisis Summit, taking place Saturday, will be a step in the right direction to tackling the crisis.

Iowa State University’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences is one of the world’s leading institutions of agriculture. Students learn how to navigate different aspects of science, conservation and agriculture and what it means to Iowa, the country and the world.

As our climate continues to face pollution, extreme weather conditions and an array of other environmental issues, students and young adults are left to pick up the pieces and gear up to face the crisis head-on.

One politician is making a noticeable difference with his policies regarding the climate crisis.

Senator and presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders of Vermont has worked with other politicians and climate experts to put together the Green New Deal. The Green New Deal expands on topics such as rebuilding America’s infrastructure, creating news jobs that are needed to solve the climate crisis and supporting small family farms by investing in ecologically regenerative and sustainable agriculture.

The future of the world is in danger and America needs a president who will focus on important issues that affect us and the environment. We need to fight the climate crisis together.

On Sen. Sanders’ most recent End Corporate Green Tour throughout Iowa, his message was clear: It’s time for corporate companies to be held accountable, and that includes companies of the fossil fuel industry and their contribution to pollution. Sen. Sanders also aims to revitalize rural America, with the understanding that the economy and the environment have been working against rural communities.

Sanders has a plan to ensure corporations aren’t solely controlling agriculture, providing a fair playing field for farmers and implementing fair trade deals. Though most Democratic candidates acknowledge the danger our current climate catastrophe has on the environment, Bernie is the candidate who is prepared to roll out plans that’ll protect the environment as well as protect farmers, families and rural communities.

Something historic in the Midwest will be happening Saturday: Sen. Sanders and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez will be convening with climate experts for a Climate Crisis Summit at Drake University. The event will be a vital part of figuring out how we tackle the crisis collectively.

Speakers at the Climate Crisis Summit will include author and journalist Naomi Klein, organic dairy farmer Francis Thicke, U.S. Youth Climate Strike co-founder and Executive Director Isra Hirsi, Sunrise Movement activist Zina Precht-Rodriguez and Linn County Supervisor Stacey Walker.

The Des Moines Climate Crisis Summit, hosted by Sen. Sanders and Rep. Ocasio-Cortez, will take place 12 p.m. Saturday at the Bell Center at Drake University. Address: 1421 27th Street, Des Moines, IA 50311.

This event is free and open to the public. Tickets are not required, but an RSVP is encouraged. Entrance is provided on a first come, first served basis.

Transportation will be provided to students from Iowa State University and Grinnell College on first come, first served reservations. Press interested in covering this event must RSVP.

There is no climate crisis. The world climate is well within its historic norms. The predictions of the global warming doomsday cult that climate will jump its norms, based on their biased computer models, have all been proven false when compared to reality. If your predictions are wrong, then your science is wrong. Simply put, the world is not ending, not now, not in twelve years, nor in a hundred years, as the hysterical, lefty loony, planet boilers claim.

Pollution does not change the climate. You can toss all the beer cans out your car window that you please and it will not change the climate. There is no trend toward extreme weather over the last century.

The Green New Deal is supposedly derived from FDR's New Deal, which was a failure, extending the Great Depression by seven years. The Green New Deal only pretends to be about the climate, as it's author, Saikat Chakrabarti, admits. Chakrabarti was Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s chief of staff, who candidly admitted that the New Green Deal was to implement socialism, which is the ulterior motive of the climate change movement.

For example, the Green New Deal demands a $15 min wage. How exactly does the min wage affect world climate? How does its demand that the government provide guaranteed jobs determine the weather? How does "free" federal child care determine how many hurricanes there are? The Green New Deal is not about the climate, but rather a massive takeover of the economy by the government.

Senator Bernie Sanders and Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are greedy socialists who want to steal your money and liberty to service their crazy commie dream, which has never worked anywhere. Their fellow panelist, Naomi Klein, is a left wing nut who wrote a book in 2015, "This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate," arguing that the climate change movement provided a perfect excuse to build a socialist economy. If capitalism ruins the climate, then why are socialist countries the biggest polluters? Hint: Tragedy of the commons. If you believe these lefty loony knuckleheads, you're being played for a fool.

Jacques Webster

I agree, Steve. The weatherman can't even get his predictions right when I watch him on TV. Just the other day he said there was an 80% chance of rain, and it didn't rain... How can these planet boilers think they can predict temperature increases?

Beer cans can't impact the temperature, that's ridiculous doomsday nonsense. We should keep throwing them in the road. The more beer cans the better, really. Whenever I tailgate Iowa State games, I always make sure to throw my beer cans everywhere and see if any lefties object. They never do. They are too busy tweeting about their failed ideology.